Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Never lend a gun to a friend

Quote Originally Posted by BAD DAZ View Post
    A mate of mine was having a pest problem down at his small holding, so I offered to lend him one of my HW80's to sort things out, well a couple of weeks go by, so I asked him how he was getting on with the gun, fantastic he replied, I keep sneaking up on the wife and firing it off, she nearly shits herself, it cracks me up every time. Don't you think that's a bit dangerous mate, I asked him, no its ok, I don't put a pellet in
    There’s a certain gun shop Nottingham way that likes to dry fire the Weihrauch springers I think he also gets some weird kick out of it

Whilst on the subject of the HW80;
    I remember once having took ownership of a used but ‘as brand new’ lovely HW80k out for its first session down my local club this was a good few years back it was all going so well really enjoying the 80k.

Well that was until another member wanted to try it out so as always happy to oblige and passing it over to the club member he progressed to cocking said rifle and scraped the brand new Weihrauch silencer all down the side of the shooting bay wall 🤦🏻♂️

I never lend guns out now,i learned my lesson years ago

I don't have any friends so it's irrelevant really!

I brought a Hammerli Black Force 800 for the sole purpose of lending it out if anyone wanted a go with my cherished guns. My prejudice would not allow me to purchase a Chinese gun under any other circumstances. I have to admit I am very impressed and actually like this gun it is so much better than I expected. Should I seek medical advice?

Unhappy

I'm not looking forward to getting it back, if I'm lucky, it will just need a new piston seal, fingers crossed
    That would be more than lucky... a miracle i’d say!
    Springs likely going to look resemble a Welsh mountain road
    Shoot long range = Live till old age

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    he progressed to cocking said rifle and scraped the brand new Weihrauch silencer all down the side of the shooting bay wall 🤦🏻♂️
    Some people really are knob ends, aren't they.

I'm so pleased that no one has asked to borrow one of mine - there are very few people that I'd trust to look after them as I do.

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl2 View Post
    I brought a Hammerli Black Force 800 for the sole purpose of lending it out if anyone wanted a go with my cherished guns. My prejudice would not allow me to purchase a Chinese gun under any other circumstances. I have to admit I am very impressed and actually like this gun it is so much better than I expected. Should I seek medical advice?
    Oh, where are those made ??
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

I'm not looking forward to getting it back, if I'm lucky, it will just need a new piston seal, fingers crossed
    You might be pleasantly surprised. The HW80 is a VERY tough rifle and you might find it doesn't need anything replaced. I wish you luck-your 'friend' must be a 'very silly person'.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

It'll be absolutely shagged out, Daz, but I might be willing to take it off your hands --- bring it to the next bash and we'll try and work out a deal.

In South Africa we had a rule, never lend out your gun or your wife.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

To be fair, I have to take some of the blame for my mates mistake, it never entered my head that he wouldn't know that you shouldn't dry fire a springer, it's just one of those things you think is common knowledge, the thing that frustrated me most, is that he used it as a toy, Im taking him to my local club on Sunday, hopefully with some education and basic gun protacol, I can inject some respect for the sport into him and maybe have a new member join our responsible community. This has been a good lesson to me, never asume, always know.
    Changing the subject, thanks for the offer Mick and bugger off

A friend in need, is a pain in the neck. Anyone who wants to borrow your airgun is proberly the sort who wouldn't think twice, let alone once, leaving it with kids around. No, no and no.

To be fair, I have to take some of the blame for my mates mistake, it never entered my head that he wouldn't know that you shouldn't dry fire a springer, it's just one of those things you think is common knowledge, the thing that frustrated me most, is that he used it as a toy, Im taking him to my local club on Sunday, hopefully with some education and basic gun protacol, I can inject some respect for the sport into him and maybe have a new member join our responsible community. This has been a good lesson to me, never asume, always know.
    Changing the subject, thanks for the offer Mick and bugger off
    Its a pity they stopped the National Service, we now have millions of men who have no knowledge of basic firearms handling protocol. Having said that we did not get full safe gun handling even when I was serving. It makes me cringe when I see police at Heathrow pointing MP5's down in the direction of peoples legs when standing in a group. You can't beat teaching Jeff Coopers basic four rules of gun safety.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

If you lend tools don't expect them back in the condition you gave them.
    I have my tools which I never lend out. And another set I can.

Air rifles then they all get damaged somehow. Marksmanship, and good rifle maintenance, plus safety awareness, are learnt skills. Why anyone thinks they are a Davy Crockett or Bob the Builder from birth with no training is beyond me.