Thread: newbie question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Hodgdon's data for lil gun is 12 min 13 max for all bullet weights bar the barnes 30 gr and 53gr (because they are long), so changing to bullets of similar style and weight shouldn't cause too many issues, if a 55gr is still 12-13 then a slightly different shaped 40gr soft point.
    Yes, I know Hodgdon's info is all the same Scott, that's exactly why I use the one calibre book, because all the bullet manufacturers have different loads for their own bullets & from my tests they perform much better than just dumping in 12-13gns as per Hodgon's say so.

It's quite a jump from Sierra's recomended 9.2gn to Hodgdon's 13gn.

I'm pretty sure we had this same discussion when I first got the book
    Last edited by angrybear; 20-05-2017 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Yes, I know Hodgdon's info is all the same Scott, that's exactly why I use the one calibre book, because all the bullet manufacturers have different loads for their own bullets & from my tests they perform much better than just dumping in 12-13gns as per Hodgon's say so.

It's quite a jump from Sierra's recomended 9.2gn to Hodgdon's 13gn.

I'm pretty sure we had this same discussion when I first got the book
    We did indeed!

mind you I shot a 4 shot 2.5" group at 300 yards in a 5 mph wind yesterday, 5th shot was a flier unfortunately by some way, that's getting 3100-3150 with a 40 gr tipped nosler varmint. At 100 yards they are giving 1/2 Moa and the load seems temperature stable as load testing was done at 1 degree, yesterday was 17-18 degrees and I had been a bit worried about getting pressure but had no signs.

I had 3 accuracy nodes giving 1/2 moa or less at 100 for 3 or 4 shots, all nearer Hogdgon's old max load than their current one ... and they're a massive jump from your load!

The only thing with 'one book one calibre' is unlike manufacturer's websites they are always going to be out of date data which puts me off, plus I'm loading 7 calibres now so it's cheaper to get information from manufacturers on the net making sure I cross reference 2 or 3 sources when deciding on a max load (with Guesty and his QL. As a back up for stuff I just can't find).

Edit. I'd best just add all the loads I mention are worked up safely and are safe in my rifle, they may not be in others I'm not suggesting anyone, experienced or otherwise, start off near current published maximum or exceeds it.
    Last edited by 223AI; 23-05-2017 at 09:36 PM.
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    We did indeed!

mind you I shot a 4 shot 2.5" group at 300 yards in a 5 mph wind yesterday, 5th shot was a flier unfortunately by some way, that's getting 3100-3150 with a 40 gr tipped nosler varmint. At 100 yards they are giving 1/2 Moa and the load seems temperature stable as load testing was done at 1 degree, yesterday was 17-18 degrees and I had been a bit worried about getting pressure but had no signs.

I had 3 accuracy nodes giving 1/2 moa or less at 100 for 3 or 4 shots, all nearer Hogdgon's old max load than their current one ... and they're a massive jump from your load!

The only thing with 'one book one calibre' is unlike manufacturer's websites they are always going to be out of date data which puts me off, plus I'm loading 7 calibres now so it's cheaper to get information from manufacturers on the net making sure I cross reference 2 or 3 sources when deciding on a max load (with Guesty and his QL. As a back up for stuff I just can't find).

Edit. I'd best just add all the loads I mention are worked up safely and are safe in my rifle, they may not be in others I'm not suggesting anyone, experienced or otherwise, start off near current published maximum or exceeds it.
    As per the point I made above (or tried to make) the OP asked about Sierra 40gn you're using Nosler 40gn ballistic tip & Nosler (like Speer) agree more or less with Hodgdon, with the book giving 11gn-13gn at 1.723" coal.

I agree a double check with the bullet manufacturers web site is always a good idea.