Thread: Rare Diana 2 pistol missed at auction

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    I agree keeping shtum until after the auction is the classy thing to do.

Matt
    Agreed ... may seem callous but it is a cruel world out there. I have seen a few auction items that interested me before a 'heads up' on here and elsewhere and have quietly cursed. Some I have bought, others I have missed and have never known if I had paid more than if the 'heads up' had not been there.
    Mind you, on some occasions I have visited the auction (like to do that anyway) to see for myself and have seen the said item is in very very poor condition but then sell to 'the internet' at what I thought to be a far too high a price. At that time I have thought 'poor bu****, I wonder if they know what they have just bought?'

Cheers, Phil

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Agreed ... may seem callous but it is a cruel world out there. I have seen a few auction items that interested me before a 'heads up' on here and elsewhere and have quietly cursed. Some I have bought, others I have missed and have never known if I had paid more than if the 'heads up' had not been there.
    Mind you, on some occasions I have visited the auction (like to do that anyway) to see for myself and have seen the said item is in very very poor condition but then sell to 'the internet' at what I thought to be a far too high a price. At that time I have thought 'poor bu****, I wonder if they know what they have just bought?'

Cheers, Phil
    Yes, I agree with your sentiment Phil. If you know, using your own expertise, or from being able to examine an item, that there is something seriously wrong with it that the average bidder might not pick up on, then it would be the gentlemanly thing to do, to flag it up on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Yes, I agree with your sentiment Phil. If you know, using your own expertise, or from being able to examine an item, that there is something seriously wrong with it that the average bidder might not pick up on, then it would be the gentlemanly thing to do, to flag it up on the forum.
    If I saw a fault by looking at a photo then most likely I would flag it up but can never remember doing so ... faults I have seen in these circumstances have been glaringly obvious to anyone or noted in the item description anyway e.g. cracked stock. But faults can be seen at the auction that are not obvious from a photo. At times I have pointed these out to the person next to me who is examining the items ... usually greeted with a gutteral 'grmmph' but sometimes a 'thank you'. I could not post about such faults as I visit on auction day.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post

Cheers, Phil
    Speaking as someone who once briefly worked at an auction house (not a gun one) many many years ago, and saw some slightly unethical practices at times, I am sometimes a little sceptical when “the internet” does that.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Speaking as someone who once briefly worked at an auction house (not a gun one) many many years ago, and saw some slightly unethical practices at times, I am sometimes a little sceptical when “the internet” does that.
    I have emailed auctions for information, like is it in working order. and have had reply's back of sorry not tested. and also for more photos, and been sent the ones that are already on their listing.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    I have emailed auctions for information, like is it in working order. and have had reply's back of sorry not tested. and also for more photos, and been sent the ones that are already on their listing.
    I’ve emailed a couple of times to ask if a rifle or pistol is smoothbore or rifled, and someone’s always gone to check. Picked up a rifled Diana Model 1 pistol recently because of this. Doubt they’d be bothered to take more pictures though.

Matt