Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your perfect sporting breakbarrel?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Finally some of my theoretical dream guns are starting to become reality!
    The cometa 300 is my first candidate, this is the work I have done so far:
    -sleeved up a Bam B26 rear block to fit the 26mm cometa tube.
    -Started converting an old CZ631 piston to fit the rekord trigger.

The goal is a medium size breakbarrel with 26mm HW seal, 84-85mm stroke, one piece cocking linkage and rekord trigger.
    That prescription sounds very spookily like a HW95, evert.

Congratulations on the progress and inspiration.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    That prescription sounds very spookily like a HW95, evert.
    But with the option to change piston rods and reduce stroke length if needed ;-)

Nice.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

That prescription sounds very spookily like a HW95
    What on earth was my mind doing yesterday??
    It was +/- 80mm that has been the plan all along, I just somehow confuse myselfd with the stroke I'm using in the TX at the moment.

Now, a shortstroke piston in the HW95 would probably be a better gun, but I enjoy the tinkering.

What on earth was my mind doing yesterday??
    It was +/- 80mm that has been the plan all along, I just somehow confuse myselfd with the stroke I'm using in the TX at the moment.

Now, a shortstroke piston in the HW95 would probably be a better gun, but I enjoy the tinkering.
    I think wonkydonky once posted a detailed instructional on a short stroke / lightened buttoned piston on a 95, evert. Be worth searching out.

Out of interest, my CZ634 - 25mm and 77mm stroke was very enthusiastic to make power and required calming. The firing cycle was very calm. Now even more calm - many who have tried it at Boinger Bashes guessed it might make 7 or 8 ft.lbs as opposed to the high 11s output.

Hw95l

I don't have a lot of experience with break barrels and my first was a Benjamin Trail NP which I replaced with a HW95L and upgraded the scope on the Weihrauch. The 95 is an excellent air rifle and such a joy to shoot. I would have to vote for the 95 as the best break barrel as far as I am concerned. Good luck to all and stay safe during these horrible C-19 times. I forgot to note my HW95L scoped weighs 9.2 lbs.
    Last edited by Travis299; 25-11-2020 at 09:54 PM.

How do you define “sporting”?

There’s a big difference between range time with a rifle weighing around 9+lbs unscoped, or shooting pests in the garden from the black door with it, and lugging something around the woods for hours.

You want different characteristics for rabbit sniping, ratting, squirrels in trees. Etc. Either have different ones of a Jack of all Trades.

I know that many of us have successfully used, say, an HW80 as an all-rounder. But that’s a bunch of gun.

As an effete individual, back in the day, my choice was instead an FWB127.

I honestly believe that once you get over 8lbs unscoped (and I prefer 7-7.5), you start losing the sense of an all-rounder that is as useful for rats at 10 yards as for rabbits at 30.

For those reasons, if I had one springer and a variety of quarry, it would be something like an FWB Sport, sorted 99, Longbow, Diana 34/36/38, or Tomahawk (preferably walnut).

The lighter carbine stuff is great for short and fast stuff. The heavy stuff is great for longer-range stuff. But the sweet point is 6.5-7.5 or 7-8 lbs unscoped.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

There’s a big difference between range time with a rifle weighing around 9+lbs unscoped, or shooting pests in the garden from the black door with it, and lugging something around the woods for hours.

You want different characteristics for rabbit sniping, ratting, squirrels in trees. Etc. Either have different ones of a Jack of all Trades.

I know that many of us have successfully used, say, an HW80 as an all-rounder. But that’s a bunch of gun.

As an effete individual, back in the day, my choice was instead an FWB127.

I honestly believe that once you get over 8lbs unscoped (and I prefer 7-7.5), you start losing the sense of an all-rounder that is as useful for rats at 10 yards as for rabbits at 30.

For those reasons, if I had one springer and a variety of quarry, it would be something like an FWB Sport, sorted 99, Longbow, Diana 34/36/38, or Tomahawk (preferably walnut).

The lighter carbine stuff is great for short and fast stuff. The heavy stuff is great for longer-range stuff. But the sweet point is 6.5-7.5 or 7-8 lbs unscoped.
    Most of the guns you have mentioned I have (no Diana’s) and I would agree 7-7.5 ish is a nice comfortable weight,especially if you are shooting off hand.
    My favourite b/b is a AA Pro/elite but they are a hefty gun and the weight is front heavy on them for unsupported shooting for any lengthy shooting session,for me anyway (getting older).
    FWB got it about right with the sport,fitted with a nice low scope.
    My Tomahawk in walnut is my favourite for unsupported shooting,great balance and weight combination.

The heavy guns don’t move about as much ,recoil wise but you still have to lug them about with you.
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

For me, its s mid-weight gun like the Hw95, BSA supersport, Hw99, Webley Vulcan etc. Big enough to be accurate with power somewhere around 10-11 fpe, but to so large that it becomes to heavy to carry.

I think wonkydonky once posted a detailed instructional on a short stroke / lightened buttoned piston on a 95, evert. Be worth searching out.

Out of interest, my CZ634 - 25mm and 77mm stroke was very enthusiastic to make power and required calming. The firing cycle was very calm. Now even more calm - many who have tried it at Boinger Bashes guessed it might make 7 or 8 ft.lbs as opposed to the high 11s output.
    Was that a short stroke via a front spacer, or a longer rod?

The CZ634 is rare over here, but definately a gun that I would like to try if one pops up some day.
    Are they sold in the UK?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Today I strapped a new style HW mod onto my HW80k and gave it a little short range workout. I have mainly been using the 99's and 95 this year, but the extra heft of the 80 was comfortable and reassuring. I put this up to 19 ft/lb last week and it shoots every bit as nicely as the 95 at 15 and the 99's at 11. I think it's just a case of running each gun at the power it naturally wants to do

This is my only air rifle without a custom stock. I think I'll have to fix that now

Was that a short stroke via a front spacer, or a longer rod?

The CZ634 is rare over here, but definately a gun that I would like to try if one pops up some day.
    Are they sold in the UK?
    I think CZ sold the rights to the 634 etc and the guns are now made by this company:

https://www.zvsholding.sk/downloads/...ifle_perun.pdf

They don't seem to be available in the Uk but I'm sure a BBS member has one in addition to many CZ built ones.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The best break-barrel springer is a Mk II HW77K because it utilises something called a 'fixed barrel'.

It's better than the other break barrels as it has a rigid, fixed barrel and a separate cocking lever allow direct loading into the barrel while keeping the sight system in perfect alignment with the barrel. The fixed sight/barrel orientation is reassuring and the extra weight is far more forgiving than the others.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 25-11-2020 at 07:05 PM.

I am about to put together what I am hoping will be my go to .22" break barrel......

HW85mk1 trigger/action/barrel/open sights
    TBT maxi pro kit
    Recent HW95 Luxus stock

The only other possible addition I may need is a set back trigger and to decide what scope to put on it.

Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The best break-barrel springer is a Mk II HW77K because it utilises something called a 'fixed barrel'.

It's better than the other break barrels as it has a rigid, fixed barrel and a separate cocking lever allow direct loading into the barrel while keeping the sight system in perfect alignment with the barrel. The fixed sight/barrel orientation is reassuring and the extra weight is far more forgiving than the others.
    No matter how many fingers you cut or teeth you crush, the HW77 and its variants(77k, 97, 97k, tx200, HC etc) are too heavy.

The 77 has a very good powerplant, but the format is too large.