Thread: Brummie BSA Springers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've owned several BSA's including Airsporter RB2 .22 and Mercury Challenger .22 Mercury S .177. Lovely to look at, well balanced, good build quality and make 12ftlb comfortably(.22). The triggers are described as very agricultural at best, and as a consequence render the rifle's inaccurate. My .22 HW77k will hit 1/2" spinners and similar size groups at 30 metres regularly.
    The 1990's BSA's on the other hand will struggle to even get close to Weihrauch or Diana accuracy and so are better suited to 1 1/2" spinners and groups at 30 metres. However, my .177 AA TX200SR and Pro Sport will hit 10mm groups at 30 metres supported which goes to show that you don't need a German spring piston rifle for accurate shooting.

Brummie BSA Springers

Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    I've owned several BSA's including Airsporter RB2 .22 and Mercury Challenger .22 Mercury S .177. Lovely to look at, well balanced, good build quality and make 12ftlb comfortably(.22). The triggers are described as very agricultural at best, and as a consequence render the rifle's inaccurate. My .22 HW77k will hit 1/2" spinners and similar size groups at 30 metres regularly.
    The 1990's BSA's on the other hand will struggle to even get close to Weihrauch or Diana accuracy and so are better suited to 1 1/2" spinners and groups at 30 metres. However, my .177 AA TX200SR and Pro Sport will hit 10mm groups at 30 metres supported which goes to show that you don't need a German spring piston rifle for accurate shooting.
    Every airsporter/mercury i've shot or owned has had poor feeling triggers, usually due to some berk winding in the adjuster screw till it locks(which makes the let off heavier) However they've all been perfectly adequate after adjusting & none needed tuning unlike every lightning i've had through my hands. The barrels could be a bit hit & miss in quality in bsa's of late 80's early 90's though especially in lightnings. My current challenger barrel matches my 50s hw for accuracy easily & to my surprise shoots most pellets very well indeed.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    About sums it all up !
    “An airgun or two”………