Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Yep. A 70 would be a slightly bigger dog, but only dozing, and you can lose the steel caps. Still a boingy dog, though. And it looks nicer. But still a boingy thing from before the makers realised that consistency and accuracy, rather than pure boingy-ness and dustbin penetration were what mattered.

I can think of no practical use to which the best answer is BSF. Just maybe barn gun for the 55, but lots and lots of competition there.

BSF utility/perormance, compared to the best contemporary and later springers: 5-7/10. BSF general coolness and pleasure of ownership and use: 7-9/10. If BSF had not gone suddenly bust but rather slowly got worse for years (Gamo-BSA?), we might be more objective. But, heck, facts, attitudes.

Bottom line. Important historically, well made, and I and other folk like them.
I can think of one use for them- to have a famed bsf in your collection! like the bsa supersport they are very satisfying when you master the correct hold & that weird trigger pull & actually hit what your aiming at! As for your last remark it's probably just as well they did go bust if the looks of the last model 80 were anything to go by, a little bit of sick came up there when I remembered what it looks like!