Thread: Converting the Webley Senior from a piston ring to a leather seal?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    Agree with that 100%.
    The FWB 300 rifle uses a split ring as well, though I am sure steel ones with a stepped split section (higher performing) are advertised as non original replacements.
    How does a stepped split section work? I can't quite visualise it.

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    I think there is absolutely nothing that a half decent split ring cannot handle in airgun cylinder pressures since they have been used for ages in high compression turbo-charged diesel engines and last many years in the harshest compression cycle one can imagine.

I think a reasonably competent person with a lathe can turn a few rings effortlessly if the cylinder bore is still true and the piston groove/cylinder dimensions are known. I would hate to loose more of what little power these fine pistols make by fitting leather washers.
    Wandering off topic now but I wonder how feasible it would be to convert, say, a HW95 to a PB ring seal?
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    How does a stepped split section work? I can't quite visualise it.

Wandering off topic now but I wonder how feasible it would be to convert, say, a HW95 to a PB ring seal?

Instead of having a straight cut in the side of the ring, the cut would be something like this, making it more difficult for the air to leak past the two ends of the ring

Last edited by dvd; 19-03-2019 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Cant get the image to appear in the post

having a problem posting an image of the ring

Hi eyebull,
    If you google WaffenGotha and look for the parts list of the FWB300, they have a tuning version of the standard ring for the FWB300S.
    You should be able to see it quite clearly as they have pictures of both the standard and the tuning versions of the ring. The stepped ring is the tuning version.
    I hope that helps as I can not copy the images and get them to stick in my post.