Quote Originally Posted by Scubashot View Post
I too have been surprised at the mild response to this question.
About thirty years ago I bought a new HW77 and within a year or so decided to tune it with a GunSport Maximiser kit - advertised to improve the consistency etc of your rifle but guaranteed not to take it over the limit. The kit included an Ox spring along with a spring guide, piston sleeve, new seal and several "special" lubricants.
At that time chronos were not commonplace and a different attitude to air guns prevailed so I never worried too much about it. I had a FAC for a 0.22 target rifle and pistol so played with the air rifle as a garden gun.
I have played with the gun on and off over the years until recently a friend obtained an FAC and with it a 40 ft-lb rifle. At this point a chrono became available and I discovered that my '77 had been over the limit for many years. I therefore stripped it to detune it and despite all the horror stories that I had heard could find no internal damage.
I have now replaced the Ox with a modern V Mach kit but find no improvement in the shot cycle and still had to do a load of fettling to keep the power under the limit!
As above, Me to bought my 77k just over 30 odd years ago and fitted the maximiser kit, I used to shoot very often back then and did often strip and clean the 77 quite often, From memory I'm sure I fitted 3 maximiser kits back in the early years and replaced the ox springs quite often back then, As above no crono to test it until I found a local shop in aberdare who tested my then hw 77 and hw 80 with results that are not quite accepted these days, So unless the ox spring has changed it is most likely to need cutting to be under legal limit, Would make more sense to buy a spring or kit that would only need adding or removing washers /spacers.