Thread: Bench testing tip

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I Use A Black And Decker Workbench

B And D

Quote Originally Posted by big t View Post
    I Use A Black And Decker Workbench
    so do i,comes in very handy,i just lay a couple of square feet of thin (3mm)polyester felt in the jaws so i don`t mark the stock.

i use a black and decker workmate with a piece of foam pipe lagging on each side of the jaws so that i can clamp the gun without damage

jobs a good un

Thank you Mick,

Being new I need useful tips like this.

Cos when you are not sure what you are doing when zeroing in a new rifle, it can take rather a long time
    I am a Lady
    AA S200 Mk3, Walther CP99, Soon to own a Webley Alecto

These are worth every penny for serious bench resting particularly with a rear bag

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=412484
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

good tip

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    These are worth every penny for serious bench resting particularly with a rear bag

The plastic jawed clamps are better value.Plus, you can use them as clamps.
    Weihrauch B&C HW95K, B&C HW35K, BAM B26-2 venoman custom, QB78 DL custom.
    You ain't so big, you jus' tall, tha's all.
    http://ukchineseairgunforum.myfreeforum.org/index.php

great tip

Cool uk purchase

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post

can this be purchased from any UK suppliers? I had something similar a few years ago, but gave it away - and wish i hadn't!!

Quote Originally Posted by MacSniper View Post
    can this be purchased from any UK suppliers? I had something similar a few years ago, but gave it away - and wish i hadn't!!
    Sorry that I was late in spotting this but try Amazon.co.uk! They have that one and many many more! Just searched for "rifle shooting rest" and found loads!

Also, rod rests from fishing tackle shops! Some are rubber (about £5 for a pack of 2) and I screw them into my workbench edge to keep rifles safely propped up whilst having them handy for service etc! Could likely be adapted for use with shooting bench too!

atvb
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cerebral Chasm View Post
    Thank you Mick,

Being new I need useful tips like this.

Cos when you are not sure what you are doing when zeroing in a new rifle, it can take rather a long time
    If you are trying to zero it in still, remember the scope clicks move the crosshairs to the last bullet hole you made by 1/4 inch per click and then you move the gun and sights High-Clock, Right-Clock is how I remember it. If its landing high, I click the top turret clockwise, anti-clockwise if its going low. If its going right, turn the side turret clockwise, if its going left, turn the side turret anti-clockwise. You should be able to work out how many clicks either way to get it right by the distance you are from the target and how far the shot was away from where you hit.
    If you were 100m away and one inch to the left off, wind the side turret 4 clicks and it should hit the spot. Start at 25 metres so you dont have to walk so far, and make a adjustments, dead on at 25 metres can still be a bit out at longer ranges, but start at the short range. Try aiming at each subsequent bullet hole and this will show were minor adjustments are needed. Pay attention when adjusting dont just twiddle.
    I thought I know a bit about it, but yesterday it took me ages to get it shooting 2 inches low at 50metres to suit a better trajectory , it had been dead on at 50m which made it way too high at closer ranges, so I had been missing close shots. Good Luck

alan 972

Quote Originally Posted by babasan View Post
    i use a black and decker workmate with a piece of foam pipe lagging on each side of the jaws so that i can clamp the gun without damage

jobs a good un
    i will be trying that thanks

I've seen the bag type supports people use but just had a look around and cheapest i can find them is £20. seems a little expensive. Bench idea is good though.

Quote Originally Posted by mark03r View Post
    I've seen the bag type supports people use but just had a look around and cheapest i can find them is £20. seems a little expensive. Bench idea is good though.
    Keep an eye out in the poundshop type stores (also places like Home Bargains) for fabric doorstops. They're perfect for shooting off.

Make your own bean bags out of some old socks and fill them with either polystyrene balls (craft shop, used for stuffing toys) or sand from the builders yard/beach whichever is more convenient.

If you are lucky to have an understanding seamstress available, bigger bags than socks can be made for pence - you might just have to turn a blind eye to the colour scheme.