Thread: Dive Bottle Test - Short & Curly's?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    seems to give them licence to scrap both even if either one fails! That would seem to be a liberty, as it forces the customer to stick with them for whichever part requires replacement.
    That's my point entirely. For example, if a car fails it's MOT, you can take it where you like to get the necessary work done and then return to the original MOT station to have it checked / confirmed safe / certificated . Don't get me wrong, I know that the £61.00 extra I've been asked to pay is nothing compared to what could happen with an unsafe 300 bar bottle but still, I think this policy is just so open to being abused by scrupulous operators and let's face it they are everywhere unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    If it is the main air outlet (DIN connection), it's huge with a course thread, as you say does not need much to compress an o-ring seal, no need to apply gorrilla force on the threads.
    Yep, threads on the outlet (DIN connection) is what failed the go, no go test and like I said initially, very rarely used and when I did, I only ever used used hand pressure to attach the whip. I can't for the life of me understand how these threads could be damaged so easily given the light use. That's where my suspicions started to creep in.. My 12Lt Faber is older and was purchased secondhand, so I expect that will be a definite fail but I'll see when the time comes which isn't too long away.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitslayer View Post
    That's my point entirely. For example, if a car fails it's MOT, you can take it where you like to get the necessary work done and then return to the original MOT station to have it checked / confirmed safe / certificated . Don't get me wrong, I know that the £61.00 extra I've been asked to pay is nothing compared to what could happen with an unsafe 300 bar bottle but still, I think this policy is just so open to being abused by scrupulous operators and let's face it they are everywhere unfortunately.

Yep, threads on the outlet (DIN connection) is what failed the go, no go test and like I said initially, very rarely used and when I did, I only ever used used hand pressure to attach the whip. I can't for the life of me understand how these threads could be damaged so easily given the light use. That's where my suspicions started to creep in.. My 12Lt Faber is older and was purchased secondhand, so I expect that will be a definite fail but I'll see when the time comes which isn't too long away.
    So it's the air outlet that's failed... So what about they remove the failed item and give you back your bottle? You buy the valve assembly you want from best fittings and your done??! I can't see how they can refuse to return the non damaged bit!! It should be policy that they refund some of the test money to the value of the scrap if not... They must make a pretty penny on all that brass & stainless!!! Irritates me because that is a wee take!
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitslayer View Post
    ...... My 12Lt Faber is older and was purchased secondhand, so I expect that will be a definite fail but I'll see when the time comes which isn't too long away.
    Not necessarily, my cylinder was bought used (from a very helpful chap that had looked after it). It had passed a previous 5 year check (with his chosen reliable test centre), and has just passed its second 5 year check.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

There's little can be done but I'd ask to be shown the valve & the test it has failed and mention that you were not aware the DIN outlet was tested under BS EN 1802 only the cyl-valve fit, better still if you know the thread & can refer to the cyl-valve thread by size, I'd even ask to see where it says the outlet needs testing in the procedure, & make it clear you think they have caused any damage to make it fail.

If they think you know your stuff they're not going to try it on

Luckily I trust the chap I take my gear to & he knows I used to work on HP gas systems & cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    There's little can be done but I'd ask to be shown the valve & the test it has failed and mention that you were not aware the DIN outlet was tested under BS EN 1802 only the cyl-valve fit, better still if you know the thread & can refer to the cyl-valve thread by size, I'd even ask to see where it says the outlet needs testing in the procedure, & make it clear you think they have caused any damage to make it fail.

If they think you know your stuff they're not going to try it on

Luckily I trust the chap I take my gear to & he knows I used to work on HP gas systems & cylinders.
    This sounds like a sensible approach... At least if nothing else it may make them think twice about trying it on (if that is what they are doing!) if not then theory would have it they should be sympathetic and at least properly explain and demonstrate what is happening.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I had 3 bottles tested last year, 1 was very old and rough, 1 was old in good condition and 1 was fairly new in good condition, The two older ones had been out of test for a very long time but they all passed without any problems whatsoever. I would be demanding they show me the faulty part before I hand over payment.

Asked my local today whilst getting 4 fills, they said about 2 a year fail that particular test, so considering that they fill dozens of bottles a day 5 days a week, you are either extremelly unlucky or being scammed to make up the bottom line!

Quote Originally Posted by Spray1Mark View Post
    Asked my local today whilst getting 4 fills, they said about 2 a year fail that particular test, so considering that they fill dozens of bottles a day 5 days a week, you are either extremelly unlucky or being scammed to make up the bottom line!
    That's my gut feel but I can assure you I bet I'm not the last.

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Personally, I'd wait for Parwins every time around Peterborough. The only people taking the valve out are the testers, and as said, it's very rare for a thread failure.......

I know Paul is in for a bypass, just hope he gets through that and is back in the shop soon...

Jerry