Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
The flip up breech cover models were the 46's. I had one but not for long. They were long strokers and they made way for the more recent sliding breech underlevers. Of these, the 430 and 440 have the short strokes more suited to these shores.
I'm certain Dave (jonnyone) has a a few Diana underlevers so maybe will be along soon to advise.
I have one or two
I've recently been fettling a 50T01 and that is a nice solid platform. The tap loaders have long fallen from favour but still give reasonable performance and a real taste of yesteryear.
I must admit to doing more collecting than shooting these days and so few of the.underlevers get used as often as I would like. The little I have done with them I can still tell they are solidly built. I currently have a 430 ST, 46ST, 46, 460 Mag, 470TH, and 300r.
Totally off topic for just a moment I overhauled an old 34s on the weekend and I have to say that the breech arrangement on this (and indeed all Diana break barrels I would imagine) is first rate in that you have a steel tube which passes through the breech block and into the breech jaws. Thin shims either side hold the tube in place with the aide of a thin breech bolt. Very simple and efficient and no doubt goes some way to helping these guns to good accuracy.
Dave