Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Stripping my s/h 0.22 Remington Express Compact

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    I've just bought a standard Express to have a tinker with.
    I'm following this thread with interest and hopefully the gun will be sweet when finished.
    I'll then pass it on to Emma's boyfriend, George, who will then have a gun of his own to enjoy the hobby with.
    Hopefully, he will then be as hooked as Emma and me.
    Hi gtfreight, have a look at my last post and make sure you split the cocking link when reassembling it so you don’t do what I did

Let us know how you get on, I’ll be interested to see if it’s lubed when you first strip it !

I’ll put 50p and two chocolate HobNobs that it’s not

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    That experiment will give some useful insight. It would be interesting to se how power changes with different seal resistance.
    I'd guess that there's different "best" seal resistance for different types of seals and guns. Some seals have thin sealing lips that expand when pessurized, this probably causes a lot of friction that you cant detect with the sliding test.
    I prefer to try different seals from different makers before sizing.
    You can often find one that fits and does what you want without removing any material if you have several to choose from.
    But that big box of seals costs a bit of money.....
    Hi Evert,
    Sorry but due to the issues I had with the piston sleeve / spring and time constraints, I didn’t really have time to start fabricating a resistance checking device but if it gets stripped again I definitely will

Norm

Re: seal resistance.
    That would make fascinating readings. I suspect that optimal seal resistance will also be influenced by the power being generated by the spring and also, of course, by any lubrication on the seal that influences its resistance against the cylinder wall.
    Cheers, Phil

Seal resistance experiments is interesting, but as stated earlier, there are some variables that are difficult to measure, like friction under pressure, and how different seal materials react to pressure.

And powerful guns with heavy springs are less sensitive to seal resistance.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Fixit-Norm View Post
    Hi gtfreight, have a look at my last post and make sure you split the cocking link when reassembling it so you don’t do what I did

Let us know how you get on, I’ll be interested to see if it’s lubed when you first strip it !

I’ll put 50p and two chocolate HobNobs that it’s not

Norm
    Thanks for the advice Norm. It's going to be a while before I open it up but I'll buy some Hobnobs before I do (any excuse for a Hobnob).

Thanks for the advice Norm. It's going to be a while before I open it up but I'll buy some Hobnobs before I do (any excuse for a Hobnob).
    It might be worth just taking the stock off and seeing if there’s any sign of lubrication, I certainly wouldn’t have shot mine had I known it was dry !

Norm

It might be worth just taking the stock off and seeing if there’s any sign of lubrication, I certainly wouldn’t have shot mine had I known it was dry !

Norm
    Hi Norm,

I have just got it out of the bag for the first time and cocked it, it sounded dry when being cocked so I pulled the stock off (the front trigger screw was in solid), and you are right, it's as dry as a nun's chuff. I'm not even going to chrono it until next week when I'm off work and can spend some time on it.
    Here's a picture, the guide is still white.
    http://imgur.com/a/ZKmDOM3
    Last edited by gtfreight; 07-08-2021 at 06:50 PM.

Hi Norm,

I have just got it out of the bag for the first time and cocked it, it sounded dry when being cocked so I pulled the stock off (the front trigger screw was in solid), and you are right, it's as dry as a nun's cuff. I'm not even going to chrono it until next week when I'm off work and can spend some time on it.
    Here's a picture, the guide is still white.
    http://imgur.com/a/ZKmDOM3
    I just can’t understand why they do that, it’s crazy I wonder how long they’d last in the hands of someone who didn’t know anything about greasing them ?

I’ll let you off the hobnobs bet as I reckoned I was on to a dead cert anyway

It’ll be interesting to see what it’s doing once it’s lubed up

If it’s anything like mine there’ll be a fair bit of preload on it as well. If you need any info on the strip don’t hesitate to pm me, or even give me a call on PURUURIYIRO ( substitute the letters for numbers on a std qwerty keyboard ).

I could probably strip mine in the dark now !

Norm

I think I'll be taking you up on the advice if you don't mind.

I think I'll be taking you up on the advice if you don't mind.
    No problem, the only afternoon I’m out next week is Tuesday as it my shopping day for mum , Oh and if you call, preferably after 9.30am as I’m a late riser, evenings anytime up to midnight

No problem, the only afternoon I’m out next week is Tuesday as it my shopping day for mum , Oh and if you call, preferably after 9.30am as I’m a late riser, evenings anytime up to midnight
    I'm the opposite to you as I normally get up at 1.15am but it might take me 8 hours to strip it down.

I'm the opposite to you as I normally get up at 1.15am but it might take me 8 hours to strip it down.
    Crikey, I’m quite often going to bed as you get up ! I’m guessing it’s for work !

Absolutely.

I couldn’t resist it, my Venoman setback trigger for the Remy arrived today, and very nice it is too, also very clear fitting instructions with pictures
    I know what tomorrow’s workshop job is

Norm.

I've decided to make a start on mine this morning but I've fallen at the first hurdle. I have tried to call you Norm but I must have decoded your number wrong.
    I'm trying to remove the trigger block to get to the spring and I can't fathom home to remove the safety mechanism before I take out the 2 pins. If anyone can give me a pointer it would be greatly appreciated.
    I've tried to find Jon's guide but can't.