Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
Very interesting thread with many types of answer. Personally I have never been part of the 'I must spend a lot of money on a particular item because I spent a lot on another item' brigade. I spend what I need to get a good answer. If I have a rifle that performs very well with a particular set of mounts and a particular scope; as witnessed by no apparent change of zero etc over time, then I leave it well alone. Would I want to change the mounts to a more expensive set for a perceived improvement? No. If I thought the mounts were a weak link I would think of changing them, starting with trying other sets I have, including sets from the cheaper end of the range and culminating in what, to me, are the more expensive end of the range e.g. Sportsmatch. Would I spend much more on supposedly more expensive makes? No. But if it was clear I needed, for example, an adjustable mount for a particular rifle (and don't tell me it never happens) then I would buy one. In the same vein, would I buy the really el-cheapo mounts that cost a couple of quid from 'that site', then no, I would not as I have seen some on s/h rifles I have bought and found them lacking in some area.
In conclusion; if it works well, I see no reason to change. Money does not always buy a product that works better then a cheaper product.
But if you want to buy the best that money can buy ... I have no problems with that either as I am fully aware that 'pride in ownership' comes into the equation.
Cheers, Phil
I appreciate where you're coming from Phil, but for me , mounts are about function. Period.
I don't buy any kit because it looks good and have certainly never considered mounts as any sort of bling or must have.
My own personal experiences with cheaper offerings have dictated that I purchase better mounts is all.