Quote Originally Posted by valboskie View Post
What is the best method or products to get rid of pitting on the action of a rifle.
Im trying to restore a 1965 webley Falcon for my son as an open sight plinker.
I sanded the bluing off with 80 grit wet and dry nearly 4 hours of sanding and the whole
Action looks leopard print it feels smooth in places but there are darker grey marks and a few small holes.
I know a few on here have restored rusty pitted rifles.How did you solve the problem.I want to blue it so any advice would be brilliant.
Atb
David
I start with a fine file on pitted metal work, gently does it don't dig in to deep, file lightly & evenly around any circumference & then lenghtwise once you've got rid of any pitting switch to emery cloth in strips, start with 80grit & use it in a shoeshine fashion, then lengthways again, keep working in this way from 80 to 120 to 240, 360, 400 then finally 0000 steel wool with solvol autosol, I've used this method many times on old guns & it brings them up a treat, it usually takes about 5 hours per gun if it's pitted but serviceable, less if there's no pitting, once you've got it to a good finish( no sanding marks, nice gleaming s
hine get it hot blued for a fraction of the normal price as all the hard work been done!
Regards Graham oh & as been mentioned before, use a block with you emery on flat/square areas.