Thread: Old BSA?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Ed,
    Thanks for the advise, I will try and get a good look at the rifle on Thursday. If I can get it stripped down and look for the points you have raised. I will also put it over a chrono and that will give me a good idea of spring and washer condition.
    If it appears to function well then I could see a restoration project on the cards, mind you I'm never too sure of how far to take them, polish every thing or leave as is!

Thanks again Ed

Iain.
    FWB 700 Universal, FWB65, Anschuz 1913, BSA Martini MK5, CZ452

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain D View Post
    Hi Ed,
    Thanks for the advise, I will try and get a good look at the rifle on Thursday. If I can get it stripped down and look for the points you have raised. I will also put it over a chrono and that will give me a good idea of spring and washer condition.
    If it appears to function well then I could see a restoration project on the cards, mind you I'm never too sure of how far to take them, polish every thing or leave as is!

Thanks again Ed

Iain.
    Hi again...The standard I did was a dark / red rust brown all over, and the stock was dusty and bone dry, It did look a mess. The best thing to do is give the metalwork a good, but gentle going over with 0000 wire wool soaked in oil, clearing away the slurry with a cloth as you go, obviously don't go to bare metal!

Then you will see what you have...you can either then give it a good going over with an oily cloth, or repeat the wire process lightly, but not going length ways, go around the gun in the same direction in which it polished originally, but with blueing solution soaked in the wool...This can slightly darken the whole gun and look quite good, but does not always work, if a decent even patina don't bother.

Stock is normal CCL cleaner, followed by stock conditioner to give a good "honest" appearance.

The above is best unless you have heavy pitting, you will be really surprised how this can transform a gun. The owner of the standard was over the moon and said it was transformed, when in fact it just took an hour or so of careful cleaning and oiling. A sofy brass brush used gently is handy for those nooks and crannies, and the rearsight normally benefits from a good rake out too..many are tight only because of dried oil / dirt.

I have polished them in the past when really corroded, but you will destroy any value to a collector as 99% prefer an original item, even if the original finish has "gone over".

ATB, ED