Thread: .22 Air Pistol 6 Yard MPL Postal Competition.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In the way of a 'bump' for interest in the .22 MPL competition - but I do have a question for the kindly organisers:

I think I need to put my .22 Tempest on the substitute's bench.

I would stick with it, but during the Feb match cards it stopped deiseling, which you may think sounds 'good', but it is actually 'bad', because it now has very little power... not enough to put clean holes in the match cards. And it's become (even more of) a mare to shoot.

Am I right in thinking I can use a different pistol for March etc?

And is a Webley Nemesis (SSP) in .22 an eligible pistol for the comp?

I think it is, and I hope it is, as I've bought one (awaiting delivery).

TIA - Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    In the way of a 'bump' for interest in the .22 MPL competition - but I do have a question for the kindly organisers:

I think I need to put my .22 Tempest on the substitute's bench.

I would stick with it, but during the Feb match cards it stopped deiseling, which you may think sounds 'good', but it is actually 'bad', because it now has very little power... not enough to put clean holes in the match cards. And it's become (even more of) a mare to shoot.

Am I right in thinking I can use a different pistol for March etc?

And is a Webley Nemesis (SSP) in .22 an eligible pistol for the comp?

I think it is, and I hope it is, as I've bought one (awaiting delivery).

TIA - Phil
    No problem with Nemesis Phil.

All spring powered and SSP air pistols are legal for use in the MPL.

I was wondering when somebody would come up with a recoilless .22 and I thought the first one would be an Alecto but it is an older member of the Webley family that will be the first to take that honour!

Once the Nemesis is in action you may like to take a peek inside the Tempest to see if it needs new seals..or even a spring perhaps?

Then you will have a nice choice of .22 MPL pistols at your disposal.
    Last edited by zooma; 11-03-2014 at 09:25 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    No problem with Nemesis Phil.

All spring powered and SSP air pistols are legal for use in the MPL.

I was wondering when somebody would come up with a recoilless .22 and I thought the first one would be an Alecto but it is an older member of the Webley family that will be the first to take that honour!

Once the Nemesis is in action you make like to take a peek inside the Tempest to see if it needs new seals..or even a spring perhaps?

Then you will have a nice choice of .22 MPL pistols at your disposal.
    Nice one, thank you Bob (I always seem to be thanking you for one reason or another! )

I'm quite excited, waiting for the Nemesis to arrive! (well, two Nemesis to be precise - a boy & a girl - if the .22 goes wrong, I guess I can transplant the .22 barrel on to the .177).

I remember when the Nemesis came out, and I've pretty much ignored them until now. I did have the odd few shots with them 'back in the day', and I remember they felt quite weighty & solid...

Here's another option for a .22 'MPL friendly' recoilless pistol - Weihrauch HW40 PCA! A quick bit of research, and yes, they do make them in .22 ... not my favorite airpistol, as I find the grip 'slippy', and I don't like the fibre optic sights for match cards (although they're great for dark backgrounds).

One concern with these .22 SSPs is will they have the FPS to cut clean wads out of match cards... if not, I'll be wishing I bought a .22 Alectro

Finally - yes Bob, I will be hoping to take the Tempest to bits (and buy it some wood grips - if I get it shooting straight). But it will take me a while to get around to it, as there are at least 4 other guns that need fixing or fettling in time for summer, and I'm not getting on with them either at present!

ATB, and good shooting - Phil

Break Barrel .22 Typhoon.

I was offerred a .22 Webley Typhoon on Saturday - it is the (mostly plastic) Turkish made break barrel type that is claimed to be "semi-recoiless". It looks like a cheaply made air pistol that comes with a plastic barrel extension cocking aid and when it is fitted the size of it reminds me of a BSA Scorpion that I had when they first came out.

Although the pistol looks very long it does not weigh much and so it may be a little easier to hold and shoot than the Scorpion.

The asking price seemed reasonable and it is a .22 pistol that I had never seen before and so I thought it may be worth a go to se how it performs as an MPL pistol.

I have not shot it yet as it has a broken rear sight, but I have ordered a new replacement from Chambers so I hope it will be here later this week so I can fit it and see if the pistol works for me at 6 yards.

Has anyone else had a go with this type of pistol?

I was offerred a .22 Webley Typhoon on Saturday - it is the (mostly plastic) Turkish made break barrel type that is claimed to be "semi-recoiless". It looks like a cheaply made air pistol that comes with a plastic barrel extension cocking aid and when it is fitted the size of it reminds me of a BSA Scorpion that I had when they first came out.
    'Semi recoiless' ? How would a .177 version be scored in the 10m M.P.L.? 6 extra points in stead of 12?
    I had a go with one of these when they first came out and even I couldn't manage to cock it. The soon brought them out with a cocking aid!

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    'Semi recoiless' ? How would a .177 version be scored in the 10m M.P.L.? 6 extra points in stead of 12?
    I had a go with one of these when they first came out and even I couldn't manage to cock it. The soon brought them out with a cocking aid!

ATB
    Ian
    Ha - good point - tiz only claimed to be semi-recoilless so maybe it should only get a semi-bonus as you suggest!

As soon as my new complete plastic rear sight unit arrives ( it cost over 8 quid!) we can both have a go with it and reach a verdict.

Looking at it I doubt very much if it is recoilless - although the grip does wobble about a bit so maybe that is what they mean

Can you remember shooting it.........or did the Webley pistol rash come out on you to prevent any actual shooting?

Ha - good point - tiz only claimed to be semi-recoilless so maybe it should only get a semi-bonus as you suggest!

As soon as my new complete plastic rear sight unit arrives ( it cost over 8 quid!) we can both have a go with it and reach a verdict.

Looking at it I doubt very much if it is recoilless - although the grip does wobble about a bit so maybe that is what they mean

Can you remember shooting it.or did the Webley pistol rash come out on you to prevent any actual shooting?
    ' £8 for a Wobbly'!!! Youve been had.

I wore rubber gloves.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    .or did the Webley pistol rash come out on you to prevent any actual shooting?
    Rash?....I. J. just crouches gibbering in the corner now when Wobblies are mentioned; particularly when Hippo outshoots a Steyr with one........yet again
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal