Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
Might be something in that...

Problem is, my perfectionism shows up with cylinder honing too.. Those flexible hones does not correct out of spec tubes, they just follow existing imperfections.
The only really good way to hone a tube for us amateurs, is to lathe turn a brass rod to fit the comp tube and spin it in the tube covered in fine grinding paste and oil.
It works, but is a bit more tedious than using a flexible cylinder hone.
The brass rod thing won't be accurate either. You need a pin fitting hone. Sunnen makes the good machines here. You can buy a mandrel and use your own lathe, I suppose. I had a TX tube honed on said machine, years ago. The operator sets the thing up for the 1" bore and makes a very few seconds of strokes, to test the pattern before going all the way. Puts a beautiful crosshatch on the cylinder walls just like AA tubes have. My tube was perfect except for some marks where the bear trap notches are cut in. There is also the spot on the inside of most TX tubes opposite the cocking shoe slot, but this is never in the stroke of the seal. As long as the extreme spread for a shot string of 20 or so doesn't exceed 15 fps, I wouldn't worry. A barrel can also make the velocity spread change, so how do you know which it is?