Thread: Hogden 4166 .222 rem loads

Hogden 4166 .222 rem loads

Hi as the REACH comes into effect and Varget powder banned anyone got load data for the .222 rem ?
    The bullet head being horsey 50 grain SP . Spoke to Hogden they have no data on 4166
    Cheers Charlie

It falls under the Hodgdon Banner, but is IMR Enduron 4166, one of their new powders with copper fowling eliminator.

To be honest I think it would be too slow for .222 due to case capacity, and I wouldn't have used Varget in .222 for the same reason.

Endurion 4166

Quote Originally Posted by pothunter View Post
    It falls under the Hodgdon Banner, but is IMR Enduron 4166, one of their new powders with copper fowling eliminator.

To be honest I think it would be too slow for .222 due to case capacity, and I wouldn't have used Varget in .222 for the same reason.
    Thanks for info !
    When started to reload gun shop advised Varget !the label on the tub gave load data for .222 I have to purchase more powder and looking for a lower grain count can you advise

Viht. N130 works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TIKKA-2459 View Post
    Thanks for info !
    When started to reload gun shop advised Varget !the label on the tub gave load data for .222 I have to purchase more powder and looking for a lower grain count can you advise
    With the .222 it's almost harder to find a powder that doesn't work rather than one that does

REACH has made it a bit trickier as H335 and H4198 both worked really well for me in the past, I would look at Ramshot Xterminator or Reloader 7, both give good velocity and, more importantly, great accuracy.

I have reloaded for 3 .222s and around the 20gn mark of RL7 with a good 50 or 52gn bullet, all three have shot under 1/2" at 100, typically .3 - .4" edge to edge.

N133 works for me.

Eyefor is offline The Artist Formerly Known as Maple
    Quote Originally Posted by pothunter View Post
    With the .222 it's almost harder to find a powder that doesn't work rather than one that does
    N130, N133, H4198 and RL 7 all work well in my .222

as stated above Varget is bulky for the .222 case plus it's too expensive with excellent cheaper options available.
    If it flies, floats or fornicates, always rent it - it's cheaper in the long run. - Felix Dennis