Thread: New air arms break barrel rifle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Had a BSF S70. Almost the proportion of a Vulcan MKI or Annie 335. Full power, lovely build, but being full power it was struggling as you could tell a lot was going on.

American market demands power, though for garden plinking fun why? Testing ballistics, wind and marksmanship then 12ft/lbs does it...trouble is it too hard for most. Heck we see the .17HMR take .22LR ground because .17HMR is just easy. People like flat shooting, high velocity, to get over the tricky stuff.

There is a whole lot of competition out there. Either a company needs deep pockets or not make an expensive mistake. However, stand still and you will be left behind. But make an appealing rifle that delivers and do it well enough and that should give a solid base to continue. AA certainly have some very desirable rifles that they do very well indeed; premium desirable products. We have just seen Theoben shut its doors, I for one don't want another UK manufacturer to follow. I presume AA know what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Had a BSF S70. Almost the proportion of a Vulcan MKI or Annie 335. Full power, lovely build, but being full power it was struggling as you could tell a lot was going on.

American market demands power, though for garden plinking fun why? Testing ballistics, wind and marksmanship then 12ft/lbs does it...trouble is it too hard for most. Heck we see the .17HMR take .22LR ground because .17HMR is just easy. People like flat shooting, high velocity, to get over the tricky stuff.

There is a whole lot of competition out there. Either a company needs deep pockets or not make an expensive mistake. However, stand still and you will be left behind. But make an appealing rifle that delivers and do it well enough and that should give a solid base to continue. AA certainly have some very desirable rifles that they do very well indeed; premium desirable products. We have just seen Theoben shut its doors, I for one don't want another UK manufacturer to follow. I presume AA know what they are doing.

I don't disagree with any of that. I just thought the break barrel comment was off the mark.

The inherent problem with break barrel rifles is their barrel return to battery and the stresses placed on the barrels. Barrels bend and hinge systems wear. I shoot break barrels far more than lever, always have. Some I have got to tack drive... for a while. My underlevers have stayed constant far more easily, rare to have any issue whatsoever.

Some time ago I gave up on Theoben break barrels because I had banana'rd too many barrels. Can be straightened but its not easy. I lent my Fenman out the other month and its barrel came back bent. The fact is a lot more can go wrong, and if it can it will. Doesn't stop me enjoying them, and they remain my first choice.

Ae people going to pay a high premium for a break barrel? Pull power or FAC power? Well would take a stiffer barrel to start. And there are some out there like the HW80.
    Last edited by Muskett; 18-10-2017 at 09:27 PM.