Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: idiot neighbour

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    Turnip's suggestion for the apology isn't to apologise for reacting to the deed, but maybe your initial tone and just a way of reopening the door so a superior educational approach could be used to get the desired result. To stop the guy doing what he is doing.

Escalate it into a war and the next thing is some "neighbour" will have the Police on you for carrying your guns to the car. It all gets stupid too easily.

Turnip and I are just suggesting that there might be an alternative more positive way.
    You don't exactly need to be Einstein to realise that killing stuff on land other than yours, without permission is not acceptable, especially when it's just shot & left in a neighbours garden.
    Were he then taking it for the pot, there could at least be a modicum of excuse, but still a country mile short of justification.

I know some people, even on here, think they can shoot anything they want to,
    I remember there were members who refused to accept the terms laid down by the General licence a few years back, even when it was there in writing, in front of their face,
    But the law is the law, I have trees across the lane full to bursting with squirrels, but I can't touch them unless/until they come on to my property.

I've had an idiot neighbour lie to the police that during an argument when on my field range, I jumped up & ran over to him waving the gun in his face threatening to shoot him,
    Which obviously resulted in a uniformed knock on the door.

Were it a youngster, a bit more education might be in order, but a grown man in his 60's knows right from wrong,
    If I was the OP I'd have the left the pigeon where it fell as proof & called the police there & then.

Of all the guns that can be fired up in the air shotguns and 12ftlbs air rifles are considered reasonably safe. That does not mean pellets should leave leave the boundary of the shooting rights, nor ignore sensible good shooting safety practices.

I agree, poaching across garden boundaries is completely out of order.

I agree the GL is still a mess, and I wouldn't shoot a wood pigeon pest in my garden as it presently would be hard to satisfy the conditions of the GL. If my house was part of the farm then much easier. I can protect my song bird chicks, and do my rabbit control.

Good neighbourly manners goes a long way to better living environment for all. Shooting sports are great and there is a lot to need to know. Its in all shooters interest to share knowledge and educate those who need some further guidance.

As for ringing the Police, then that should be the last resort, not the first.

I find it sad that modern laws don't allow a young teenager to be trusted in the fields with a gun without nanny supervision. That is an erosion of freedoms that were hard won, and been too easily given away.

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    You don't exactly need to be Einstein to realise that killing stuff on land other than yours, without permission is not acceptable, especially when it's just shot & left in a neighbours garden.
    Were he then taking it for the pot, there could at least be a modicum of excuse, but still a country mile short of justification.

I know some people, even on here, think they can shoot anything they want to,
    I remember there were members who refused to accept the terms laid down by the General licence a few years back, even when it was there in writing, in front of their face,
    But the law is the law, I have trees across the lane full to bursting with squirrels, but I can't touch them unless/until they come on to my property.

I've had an idiot neighbour lie to the police that during an argument when on my field range, I jumped up & ran over to him waving the gun in his face threatening to shoot him,
    Which obviously resulted in a uniformed knock on the door.

Were it a youngster, a bit more education might be in order, but a grown man in his 60's knows right from wrong,
    If I was the OP I'd have the left the pigeon where it fell as proof & called the police there & then.
    Agreed.

Sadly some on here regard anyone that owns an airgun as some kind of Kindred Spirit that should be left to their own devices even if they are breaking the law.
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.