Thread: Help stripping and sorting a HW35k

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    now that's shed tuning
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    now that's shed tuning
    It certainly is ! I suspect from the design it’s something he started on in his early days of airgun building. I almost threw it away on several occasions, but just kept putting it back, promising to do something with it one day.

I’m not really happy with the stock I made, I’ll probably make some thing all in one eventually, once I’m happy I’ve sorted the leak and it’s reliable. All Martin’s guns have the same type of cocking mechanism, where you pull a bolt back to load the pellet then cock the gun with a short bolt on the side.

This one’s unique as all the others having a normal trigger layout the cocking bolt is pulled back till it locks, this one pushes forward as the valve he built into the cylinder works in reverse.

It’s not the quickest gun to load and fire, you have to turn a knurled disc on top of the port housing, this releases the barrel which pivots in the middle, you load the pellet, push the barrel down and lock it then push the bolt forward to cock it !
    Not exactly rapid firing but it does work and is possibly completely unique

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    now that's shed tuning
    Nah, that's "Shed Manufacturing"..

Very distinctive and unique, Norm. And your relationship with the designer and builder make it a true keeper which must surely hold a special place.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Nah, that's "Shed Manufacturing"..

Very distinctive and unique, Norm. And your relationship with the designer and builder make it a true keeper which must surely hold a special place.
    Yes it’s definitely unique. Martin was a fascinating character and had a very varied life, he was a fountain of knowledge, not just with guns but also with nature and wildlife. When it came to airguns he’d always help anyone out if he could.

I don’t really know a fraction of what he did earlier in his life although I know he raced motorbikes, built handmade bicycles and did a lot of other engineering stuff. He also loved a pint of beer and constantly had home brew on the go !

Norm.

No wonder you miss him, Norm. Not many come out of that mould and it sounds like Martin was a top, top man and a very special person.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

My completed 35k is now sporting a muzzle weight / cocking aid !

Made by me after I found out how to stop the chattering when turning it and I’ve also learnt a new skill - power threading using a 1/2” UNF -20 bottom tap in the tail stock keyed chuck and the chuck run at 55rpm ( first time I’ve used the back gears )

My good old 1945 Myford 3 1/2M series did me proud.
    The finish isn’t as good as some of you expert ‘latheists’ would get but I am improving, it would probably benefit from a good buff up

I might even have a go at a silencer……now where’s those hair curlers and vacuum cleaner tube

Norm

Oh, and she’s also wearing a Richter Optik 3-9 x 40 scope instead of the Nikko Sterling Mountmaster 4-12 x50 it came with as it felt too big and out of place on the 35.

I must say I’m quite impressed with these little budget scopes, I’ve got the 6 x 40 on my Remy EC and that was what persuaded me to get one for the HW.

The 3-9 x 40 did have to be reparalaxed but that was a doddle as the front lens cover is easy to undo and the lens thread isn’t glued or sticky. I did put a bit of black electrical tape over the join before I refitted the flip up cover though.

The mildots are quite small but I rather have that than too big.

Looking forward to setting it up and using it now

Norm

Nice bit of turning there, Norm. Another skill to learn ticked off. The sky's the limit now.