Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some questions about collectors and their collections

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Some will have to go

Wow mike

Gosh, I had not expected so many replies so soon; it looks like 'confession' time.

Garvin: "Andrew I haven't really sought to acquire more than one of each rifle/pistol but over the years I've tended to end up with several of the same model because: the opportunity has come up to 'upgrade' the tatty example I already have with a better one and I tell myself it won't really cost much (or anything) because I'll sell on the tatty one as soon as the new one has arrived. But when it comes time to sell, I 'discover' a variation (sometimes quite small) and can't bear to part with a 'totally different' model to the new one..."

Yes, agreed. I try to keep my (very humble) collection at no more than two of each, as a worthwhile representation, but sometimes the rather more tatty ones perform a little better when shooting. I also try to use mine and I produce a file of targets for each, at various ranges, noting the pellets that perform best - and the variance between pellets is often wide.

I try to avoid becoming obsessive but that is often something of a trial when a 'must have' appears.

There are some magnificent collections photographed here but, from a practical viewpoint, surely a smaller number would be representative? Probably, as you say Binners, it becomes an obsession.

What about more modern rifles/pistols, from the 70s onwards. Do people collect HW80s, FWB Sports, Original 45s, Webley Vulcans/Omegas/Longbows, Mk3s, more modern BSAs, etc, in such numbers as pre-1939 air rifles? Perhaps the feel of old craftsmanship has its attractions, especially for items approaching or exceeding 100years of age but this does not extend to more modern makes.

Very witty, I.J.

A

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    What about more modern rifles/pistols, from the 70s onwards. Do people collect HW80s, FWB Sports, Original 45s, Webley Vulcans/Omegas/Longbows, Mk3s, more modern BSAs, etc, in such numbers as pre-1939 air rifles? Perhaps the feel of old craftsmanship has its attractions, especially for items approaching or exceeding 100years of age but this does not extend to more modern makes?
    Yes, some of us do. The bulk of my collection is themed around what you would have found on the racks of a good airgun shop in the 80s (but including things from the 90s and in the case of the Xocet, Longbow and Tomahawk, early 2000s, and at the other end of the spectrum stuff like a Series 4 MkIII, Airsporter Mk1, 1940s Webley Mk1 pistol, and a couple of 1950s Dianas).

I regard all as shooters. A couple I have not got round to shoot, a couple need work, and a few more aren’t actual guns but were bought as piles of bits.

I completely get the “train spotter” mode of collecting where you have 25 variations of the Webley Service. Just not me. For a while, I aspired to acquire the entire Diana product range from 1980-82. But that made me learn that I had no interest in a small number of their models (eg 16, 22, 23) and not enough interest in big ticket items like the 75HV to actually buy them.

Basically, I buy stuff I like.

Is this an investment? I don’t think of it like that. It’s probably no worse than a regular bank savings account, but not better. I certainly don’t collect to make money. I collect to enjoy the collection.

It’s kind of a mixed bag: there are a few guns I have several examples, like Garvin I continue to buy them thinking I’m upgrading but never sell. Sometime the opportunity just presents itself, got 3 Haenel-R that came to me in 6 months and haven’t seen one since. I like collecting variations of the same pistol say with Webley pistols. I tend to shy away from multiples on rifles but Crosman 101-2 are a bit of a exception, hard to resist if they are cheap and in great condition and in the US they are cheap. And still see variations in them.

On your question of investment I do make sure I buy it right. I will not chase a gun on price beyond worth and mostly buy when they are good deals. I really can enjoy a gun more if I know I got a good deal. I also concentrate on guns in great condition, I think they will hold their value better. I like the idea of experiencing a vintage gun just as the buyer did back in the day. I don’t look at my collection as a profit maker but I do think of it as a store of value.

I shoot everthing not all of the all the time but I will not buy a gun that does shoot well. Love time in the back yard sighting in guns and comparing the performance from different models and eras.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    It’s kind of a mixed bag: there are a few guns I have several examples, like Garvin I continue to buy them thinking I’m upgrading but never sell. Sometime the opportunity just presents itself, got 3 Haenel-R that came to me in 6 months and haven’t seen one since. I like collecting variations of the same pistol say with Webley pistols. I tend to shy away from multiples on rifles but Crosman 101-2 are a bit of a exception, hard to resist if they are cheap and in great condition and in the US they are cheap. And still see variations in them.

On your question of investment I do make sure I buy it right. I will not chase a gun on price beyond worth and mostly buy when they are good deals. I really can enjoy a gun more if I know I got a good deal. I also concentrate on guns in great condition, I think they will hold their value better. I like the idea of experiencing a vintage gun just as the buyer did back in the day. I don’t look at my collection as a profit maker but I do think of it as a store of value.

I shoot everthing not all of the all the time but I will not buy a gun that does shoot well. Love time in the back yard sighting in guns and comparing the performance from different models and eras.
    I see your point about condition and value.
    Strangely enough I greatly prefer "barn finds" that need lots of tlc. The satisfaction of making them work and attractive again is greater to me than having a perfect example that I do not dare to open up.
    So I tend to sell the shiny/"mint" condition guns and keep the ones with a personal touch. In the end this approach probably costs more money. But "you only live once"

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    I see your point about condition and value.
    Strangely enough I greatly prefer "barn finds" that need lots of tlc. The satisfaction of making them work and attractive again is greater to me than having a perfect example that I do not dare to open up.
    So I tend to sell the shiny/"mint" condition guns and keep the ones with a personal touch. In the end this approach probably costs more money. But "you only live once"
    I think with airguns it’s not that much more money to buy ones that are in great condition. I’m not a perfect in the box collector. I’m never afraid to use them. Nice thing about airguns, they are not valued like a “Colt Walker”, you can have fun with no guilt and depreciation.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    See what you mean Peter. Some of those sights just don't line up. Got to go so you can get ones that do!!

am afraid I am a bit of a completist when it comes to collecting...…. hence my obsession with Theobens. have got several of the same rifle with small variations and continue to look for them on a daily/hourly/min basis. For me its the build quality of the 80's rammers that gets me every time, the quality of something like a SLR88 does it for me in my opinion on a par with the 80's venom guns for finish and fit but I do fall foul for shiny things or just nice examples of guns that I have a soft spot for!! problem is though then they get in the way of places to store theobens hence me having a clear out currently of non Theoben guns and some Theobens where I have more than one example of the exact same gun or the condition is not what I am aiming for but was ok until a better one came along...…… think I am looking for one Rammer now to complete my collection from the first siroccos to the last evo's and that's it.

Have been thinking about that long and hard, but I couldn't find a answer.
    So I just keep going on collecting, because there is no such thing as " enough airguns" . LOL

================
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post
    So I just keep going on collecting, because there is no such thing as " enough airguns" . LOL

================
    Frank
    I’m showing this to my wife, thanks much!

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post

================
    Frank

Frank, this is the most amazing collection I have ever seen. I have heard of collections of 70+ rifles but never seen them.

Questions, therefore: do you actually use them or do they remain on the wall? Do you ever sell, once bought? What makes do you collect and how many makes in your collection? How many air rifles do you own?

Good one Flint! I suspect many others here will also want to show this vast collection to their wives, if only to demonstrate how moderate theirs is, by comparison (assuming their wives have not already fled ).

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    Frank, this is the most amazing collection I have ever seen. I have heard of collections of 70+ rifles but never seen them.

Questions, therefore: do you actually use them or do they remain on the wall? Do you ever sell, once bought? What makes do you collect and how many makes in your collection? How many air rifles do you own?

Good one Flint! I suspect many others here will also want to show this vast collection to their wives, if only to demonstrate how moderate theirs is, by comparison (assuming their wives have not already fled ).
    Frank has only shown part of his collection! More pics here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....un-collection/
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Puts my mere morsel collection to shame.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

career707lover is offline His one man drag act at the dog and duck sells out every friday
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Frank has only shown part of his collection! More pics here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....un-collection/
    Absolutely incredible!