Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New British Made Air Rifle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post

The strange and annoying thing is, is that BSA actually added a bolt to the later Mercury (replacing the pin) that followed onto the Challenger, they then added a bolt to the Supersport SS model so it was done, so why they couldn't have just kept it production is beyond me.

Pete
    I think, with the odd exception like yourself, the average BSA break-barrel shooter lacked the discernment (or even the intelligence) to notice something like that sort of poor engineering. They bought them to can-bash, rat-smash and chest-shoot the odd unfortunate Benjamin Bunny. It was only the afficionados who would worry about head-shots on pigeons, and to do that out of the box you needed a German rifle. I think most BSA break-barrel shooters are still the same types, who buy on the basis that their Grandpa recommended them and 'we won the War'.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I think, with the odd exception like yourself, the average BSA break-barrel shooter lacked the discernment (or even the intelligence) to notice something like that sort of poor engineering. They bought them to can-bash, rat-smash and chest-shoot the odd unfortunate Benjamin Bunny. It was only the afficionados who would worry about head-shots on pigeons, and to do that out of the box you needed a German rifle. I think most BSA break-barrel shooters are still the same types, who buy on the basis that their Grandpa recommended them and 'we won the War'.
    ...but in reality the Mercury and Mercury S would out shoot a then HW35 for fun.
    The std. Mercury had a much nicer shot cycle than the none tune technology for the 35 at that time and shooting at barely more than 10 ftlbs too.
    It was only the advent of the
    FWB Sport and later HW77 that saw off the Mercury S but it still had its fans.
    The BSF range are seen with rosey tinted specs....shockingly over sprung and poorly made triggers never really realised the outlandish claims made in AGW at the time.
    Still nice sleek and simple rifles all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    ...but in reality the Mercury and Mercury S would out shoot a then HW35 for fun.
    The std. Mercury had a much nicer shot cycle than the none tune technology for the 35 at that time and shooting at barely more than 10 ftlbs too.
    It was only the advent of the
    FWB Sport and later HW77 that saw off the Mercury S but it still had its fans.
    The BSF range are seen with rosey tinted specs....shockingly over sprung and poorly made triggers never really realised the outlandish claims made in AGW at the time.
    Still nice sleek and simple rifles all the same.
    Agree with some of this but not all.....

My first "proper hunting break barrel" was a Mercury. A "wobbly, pin" one. And I learned that rifle inside out and we had many successful rabbiting and ratting forays. But when I first then looked inside a HW35 and then my FWB 127, it became apparent that internal finish / quality of engineering / solidity of build / materials were poor relations to the German rifles. I later also owned a Challenger (complete with daft sxope rail) and that wasn't really much better. And, yes, it did have a bolt, but it wasn't the mega solid one as used by Weihrauch and, as up above, some more "budget" rifles.

Firing cycle as standard, maybe the Mercury was a little nicer than a 35. But by the late 70s, many could perform a simple "spit and polish" fettle, which then transformed the 35's manners. And the triggers were far superior, aiding longer range consistently repeatable accuracy.

As you say, the arrival of the 77 was probably the final nail in the coffin. Webley did fight back with the Omega and Eclipse, but it was too late.

I have, however, had a couple of tries with the Superstar and find it a lovely rifle to shoot. Nice underlever catch, too.

And then we had the Venom inspired lovely Brum Longbow......
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The Mercury most people will have met had a PAINT finish, a school-desk plain varnished beech stock, a plastic bendy one-stage trigger, and a rather boingy firing cycle.

It was also a sod to strip due to its assegai-like back block with its impossible curve, a heavy spring with a good bit of preload, and a piston head that would turn, not to cheese as some people would have it, but into an intransigent substance which scientists have named Spoilyrweekium.

Compared to that, the HW35 was like a nice bit of Lego. Any monkey with a screwdriver, a punch and a open-ended spanner could strip and tune it without getting a hernia or fifteen stitches or a new shed window.

The Mercury did handle really nicely though, like a shotgun. But then if you like shotguns, go buy one instead.

The Mercury most people will have met had a PAINT finish, a school-desk plain varnished beech stock, a plastic bendy one-stage trigger, and a rather boingy firing cycle.

It was also a sod to strip due to its assegai-like back block with its impossible curve, a heavy spring with a good bit of preload, and a piston head that would turn, not to cheese as some people would have it, but into an intransigent substance which scientists have named Spoilyrweekium.

Compared to that, the HW35 was like a nice bit of Lego. Any monkey with a screwdriver, a punch and a open-ended spanner could strip and tune it without getting a hernia or fifteen stitches or a new shed window.

The Mercury did handle really nicely though, like a shotgun. But then if you like shotguns, go buy one instead.
    That made me laugh. But it's true. The Mercury is quite nice in some respects but was just not as good as it's slightly more expensive German competition in the 70s and 80s.

Hope your move north is treating you well.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    That made me laugh. But it's true. The Mercury is quite nice in some respects but was just not as good as it's slightly more expensive German competition in the 70s and 80s.

Hope your move north is treating you well.
    Likewise, Al.

I hadn't spotted thst you had moved until I saw this.

Hope all is good.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Strangely enough I bought my first Airsporter because of that very reason, I thought it looked like a shotgun and as I couldn't afford or be able to have one whilst I lived with my parents then the Airsporter was the next best thing.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I think you maybe confusing the Meteor.
    All the Mercury variants were blued. My later mk5 then an S then 635 all out shot my 35 in power terms and accuracy ...even if that record trigger was always better.
    There was little doubting the more solid build of the 35 though...
    FWB probably killed it but the 77 certainly did.
    I had forgotten the Omega ....never owned one .

The British guns' dominance of the UK market was eroded by the BSFs, HW35, and Diana "Original" 35, in the 1950s-60s and to a lesser extent the Anschutz 335 (early 70s). The 70s also saw them lose the 10M target market to recoilless Dianas and FWBs - things like the Osprey Supertarget and Mercury target were risible by comparison.

They were then absolutely hammered by the arrival in rapid succession of the FWB Sport (1974?), "Original" Diana 45 (1978), and HW80 (1980-81). And that was exactly when Airgun World magazine arrived, transforming the information - and mail-order choice - available to the average airgunner.

And the arrival of the HW77 in 1984/5 was the coup de grace.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    I think you maybe confusing the Meteor.
    All the Mercury variants were blued. My later mk5 then an S then 635 all out shot my 35 in power terms and accuracy ...even if that record trigger was always better.
    There was little doubting the more solid build of the 35 though...
    FWB probably killed it but the 77 certainly did.
    I had forgotten the Omega ....never owned one .
    Nope, sorry Clarky, slightly out on the Mercury there.

Mine had, as Alistair described, the black painted finish (not a problem with that) and the slabby sided school desk look-a-like stock. Don't know what "Mark" it was, and I DID love the rifle at the time.

The Challenger which I later owned was altogether different and much more nicely finished. Blued metalwork and the lovely, curvy stock in dark finish.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Nope, sorry Clarky, slightly out on the Mercury there.

Mine had, as Alistair described, the black painted finish (not a problem with that) and the slabby sided school desk look-a-like stock. Don't know what "Mark" it was, and I DID love the rifle at the time.

The Challenger which I later owned was altogether different and much more nicely finished. Blued metalwork and the lovely, curvy stock in dark finish.
    Hang on, someones hacked Tony's account, this must be an imposter as Tony would never say those things

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

My first "proper hunting break barrel" was a Mercury. A "wobbly, pin" one. And I learned that rifle inside out and we had many successful rabbiting and ratting forays. But when I first then looked inside a HW35 and then my FWB 127, it became apparent that internal finish / quality of engineering / solidity of build / materials were poor relations to the German rifles. I later also owned a Challenger (complete with daft sxope rail) and that wasn't really much better. And, yes, it did have a bolt, but it wasn't the mega solid one as used by Weihrauch and, as up above, some more "budget" rifles.

Firing cycle as standard, maybe the Mercury was a little nicer than a 35. But by the late 70s, many could perform a simple "spit and polish" fettle, which then transformed the 35's manners. And the triggers were far superior, aiding longer range consistently repeatable accuracy.

As you say, the arrival of the 77 was probably the final nail in the coffin. Webley did fight back with the Omega and Eclipse, but it was too late.

I have, however, had a couple of tries with the Superstar and find it a lovely rifle to shoot. Nice underlever catch, too.

Tone has hit the nail on the head. The 70s-early 80s British guns just weren't as good as the HWs/FWBs/Diana 45. The Omega was, but it came out 3-4 years too late, and against the HW77, which was 20-25% cheaper and quickly became the FT gun of choice. Same basic issue for the Superstar and later for the 'bow and 'hawk.

Ironically, if anyone could make a "classic British" springer now, it would be Hatsan. They have access to cheap walnut, an existing production line, and labour costs in Turkey are low. So I think they could turn out a credible high-quality and beautifully-finished copy of the Mach 1 or an improved Longbow for around £300 retail. But it would have to compete with AA and the Germans, all established brands, and why bother when they can sell thousands of cheap 20+ ft/lbs springers to Americans?

In the UK, the factories are mostly shut, the skilled workers are mostly retired. We'd have to start from scratch - which is too expensive for anyone to do.

It certainly makes you wonder why BSA dropped all their decent springers, even the Airsporter had evolved into something better with the RB2 and if they had retro fitted the Superstar trigger (I still say it's better than a Rekord) into the RB2 trigger block and fitted it into a decent stock then who knows where it would be now, instead they just concentrated on the shoddily built Supersport/Lightning, I would have loved to have been in some of the board meetings when they came up with the bright idea of dropping their entire underlever range, now if they had dropped them to concentrate on making the "Air Arms break barrel" then I could have understood but they haven't as they've got steadily worse over the years and have morphed into a "BSAmo", which is even worse.

Pete

secretagentmole Guest
    The Gamo PCP rifles are made in Birmingham.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dogz...159-1.jpg.html
    From an earlier thread, very nice, nocks the spots off HW for me.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...DSCN0157-1.jpg
    Wonder if the Turks can make that for around £350ish?