Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
Here's what the Home Office sent to me, and others:

From: Lassman Adam [mailto:Adam.Lassman@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk]
Sent: 03 June 2015 15:38
To: Doe, Terry
Subject: Airguns

Dear Mr Doe,

I understand that the following thread on the airgunBBS.com website has caused some confusion:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-auto-nest-but

I would, therefore, like to explain that the situation is:

Under section 5(1)(ab) of the Firearms Act 1968 (as amended), all self-loading or pump-action rifled guns are classified as prohibited other than those which are chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges. You will note that there is no exemption in this provision for air rifles/weapons.

The Home Office Circular 68/97 was intended as a guide to cover those persons then (in 1997) in possession of such weapons. In the event, no changes were made to the legislation to accommodate current sales and the situation remains as set out above.

I hope that this is helpful.

Yours sincerely,

Adam

Adam Lassman
Drugs and Firearms Licensing Unit
Crime and Policing Group

----------------------

Now, that was sent, unsolicited, to me and others, directly from the Home Office. I'm sure you've already seen it. So, there's your 'proof of the HO statement which outlines their stance on SA sub 12ftlb rifles'. Now, until changes are made to the law, I am obliged to accept what the Home Office says as fact. What you do is entirely up to you, but the statement you wanted to see has been made by the Home Office.
That email is extremely vague and unhelpful. Is he saying that all S/A's in possession up to 1997 are considered legal, but those being purchsed now are not? That would obviously be nonsense. Or is he saying that the 1997 guidance no longer applies to any S/A's and if so, when was the new guidance published and why haven't we seen it?