Thread: Most graceful air rifle ever designed?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    yup, 100% agree.

Best looking air rifle, end of.
    The more I think of it the fact that the ISP is a PCP kind of taints it. Pretty easy to put a nice wrapper on a air tank? Where is the pic of it with all the “stuff” needed to fill it and make it function as a rifle? Making a self contained working rifle is a much greater challenge and is more to my vision of classic design that is not as easy to make graceful.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    The more I think of it the fact that the ISP is a PCP kind of taints it. Pretty easy to put a nice wrapper on a air tank? Where is the pic of it with all the “stuff” needed to fill it and make it function as a rifle? Making a self contained working rifle is a much greater challenge and is more to my vision of classic design that is not as easy to make graceful.
    That's my thinking too. The challenge is to make a graceful design within the limitations imposed by the gun having a self-contained power supply.

For this reason I would discount CO2 guns from the challenge, because they can easily be of a conventionally 'beautiful' design unencumbered by the difficulties of including a self-produced power supply.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I just love the elegant lines of the BSA Airsporter and its little brother, the Cadet Major. I would give a slight edge to the Mk1 Airsporter over the MK2 due to the nicely tapered barrel and wheel adjustable rear sight. Although I know they are there for a reason, I'm not so keen on the fluting to the sides of the fore end of both the Aisporter models which I think would look better if left plain. The Cadet Major was my first serious air rifle received on my eleventh birthday in 1957 and the unique sound this rifle makes as the breech is closed after cocking takes me straight back to my youth.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    That's my thinking too. The challenge is to make a graceful design within the limitations imposed by the gun having a self-contained power supply.

For this reason I would discount CO2 guns from the challenge, because they can easily be of a conventionally 'beautiful' design unencumbered by the difficulties of including a self-produced power supply.
    Saying that - the Crosman Mod 70 is no munter.

Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post

Lots of plastic though isn't there Ian?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post

Can't help thinking that Crosman looks like this Anschutz

I actually like the lines of the Streaks, Just don't go a bundle on pumping them!!

Have to say, I love this long 600 of Lawries even though it's not actually a rifle!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post

I actually like the lines of the Streaks, Just don't go a bundle on pumping them!!

Have to say, I love this long 600 of Lawries even though it's not actually a rifle!!

John
    Wwwwhats thart please..

Question

Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    Wwwwhats thart please..
    Which one Butty??

EDIT- I presume you mean the carbine that belongs to Lawrie?

It's a Crosman 600 pistol- Same as the pistol above it, It's had a longer barrel fitted, A shoulder stock and a longer cylinder, Maybe for bulk fill Co2 or maybe HPA..

John
    Last edited by johnbaz; 06-02-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

This is getting off topic.

Mk1 Airsporter is the most graceful mass-produced air rifle made.

Graceful. Everything swoops and tapers and just fits together fluidly. It has grace.

Not most appealingly Gothick (Mk2 Service?). Not most Baroque (1950s Diana 50?). Not best handling (lots of contenders). Not best looking (ditto). Not even most classical (FWB Sport?, Beeman R1?), just graceful.

Certainly not "best". Not even necessarily best-looking. Just most graceful.

Ironically, the Airsporter when introduced seemed jet-age modern, like contemporary cars, despite their pre-war underpinnings (Google "Bristol 401" - lovely and then some). Later it seemed old. Now it seems historic.

It helps that the early 'sporters are also built well, and shoot fairly well.

Which one Butty??

EDIT- I presume you mean the carbine that belongs to Lawrie?

It's a Crosman 600 pistol- Same as the pistol above it, It's had a longer barrel fitted, A shoulder stock and a longer cylinder, Maybe for bulk fill Co2 or maybe HPA..

John
    Its very nice how did you know?

John
    The post refers to the 'Most Graceful ......' It doesn't say anything about its shooting qualities or abilities. The Crosman is mainly plastic and looks better than it shoots.

ATB
    Ian

HW100 all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    HW100 all the way.
    HW100? While I agree the HW100 is one of the best pcp I, personally, wouldn't class the standard factory versions as graceful.
    Even I only class my personal, well modified one as 'passable'.

John
    Dam that long 600 looks sexy as . Me likey