Thread: Beeman C1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    I mrto and AllanM, it's a carbine Lightning barrel. I installed it because the original Meteor barrel had scratches on the inside, and the crown was bad - I couldn't hit a proverbial barn door with it. The short barrel turns out to be better for me: it might be just in my head, but I think that the shorter lock time makes it easier to be accurate. Also I just like compact guns. Don't understand why for instance the HW35 was sold with extremely long barrels (is this the "Luxus" variant?). With pcp's I understand that a long barrel is more efficient. John Bowkett demonstrated that pellet speed increases in the barrel of a springer past the previously holy 12 inches (iirc), but power is not my main objective with this Meteor.

Anyway, I had a look at my notes.
    I couldn't find two Meteor tests where the only variable was the barrel length. Will have to install my standard length Spitfire barrel to give you the answer. That one is choked, don't know if that will have an effect. I think tbh that there won't be much of a difference speed wise.

Thank you,I like the 'ultra' carbine look of your Meteor and as a bit of a Meteor fan myself I would be interested to try such a set up.As for HW35's it was the "Export" model that had the 22" barrel,but I think at a time when far less was known about air gun ballistics,power and contributing factors.

I would imagine in the shorter barrel the pellet would not yet be up to its full potential speed wise in the Meteor,but as you say the full length barrel will at least give you another point of reference.

ATB.
    Last edited by mrto; 30-12-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Thank you,I like the 'ultra' carbine look of your Meteor and as a bit of a Meteor fan myself I would be interested to try such a set up.As for HW35's it was the "Export" model that had the 22" barrel,but I think at a time when far less was known about air gun ballistics,power and contributing factors.

I would imagine in the shorter barrel the pellet would not yet be up to its full potential speed wise in the Meteor,but as you say the full length barrel will at least give you another point of reference.

ATB.
    Back in the day.

35 standard barrel length was 19”.

Luxus was 19” with nice walnut stock.

Export was 22” with slightly different nice walnut stock.

As mrto says, less was known then, and, also, iron sights were still used, so longer sight radius was popular. But many thought the stupidly long barrel would indeed be more powerful, which it wasn’t.