Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSM tumbling

SSM tumbling

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get a SSM tumbler for cleaning .44 mag brass, never more than 100 at any one time. Having done a quick search of the forum it seems that most people recommend either a thumbler or an Extreme.

Whilst they look fantastic, they're probably over kill for what I want, plus they're not cheap.

Has anyone got any experience of something like this http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...sult?q=tumbler ?

If so, I'd be grateful for your feedback. I've seen a couple of video reviews and they seem to produce good results.

Cheers,

Mark.

This one's sold now but might give you another make to consider......

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...s-ready-to-go)

Cheers

Fizz
    http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com...... you know it makes sense!

I tumble with SS media and very pleased with the results. Over the years I've tried all ways but now only use SS.

For small quantities the Harbour freight tumblers seem to work well and the price looks very attractive in the adverts but I've no idea what the cost in the UK would be and of course you would want 240V

I use a rock tumbler myself although the drums are a bit bigger than the HF ones. If it's just for your .44 cases I think I would go with a conventional vibro tumbler, if, on the other hand you might want to go on serious long range shooting where your prepping your brass to the maximum then there's no better way than the SS method.

You could try giving Spud a ring, he has all the necessary stuff:
    http://www.1967spud.com/product-cate...-tools/page/5/

This is my SS tumbler working:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcyAkj-LzA8

I looked into trying the make one or at least go down a cheaper root, but in the end I got one from spud productions, as mentioned above.

I am so glad I did, so well made and easy to used I don't think I would have managed anything close.

Dave
    It’s sometimes best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid rather than open your mouth and dispel all doubt…

Thanks for the speedy responses guys.

I watched your video the other day, that's what started me looking for something other than a Thumbler or Extreme.

The reason I don't want to go for a vibratory tumbler is that I want something that will clean the primer pockets for me.

I've considered an ultrasonic as well, but I get the impression that they don't do as good a job as SSM tumbling.

Cheers,

Mark.

Luckily I picked up my three drum rock tumbler at a boot sale for £30 - just needed a couple of drive belts to get it going.

If I was thinking of getting started with SS from scratch I would make my own - they are really very basic and all the bearings/motors can be found on with a bit of searching - there's plenty of youtube information on homemade set-ups.

SS media beats US hands down if your looking for clean primer pockets.

Renegade Master is offline They mostly come at night, mostly
    Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    Luckily I picked up my three drum rock tumbler at a boot sale for £30 - just needed a couple of drive belts to get it going.

If I was thinking of getting started with SS from scratch I would make my own
    Out of interest, if you were making your own, what would you use as a barrel/drum for the media and brass?

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Master View Post
    Out of interest, if you were making your own, what would you use as a barrel/drum for the media and brass?
    I would think the easiest thing to do would be buy the barrels there dirt cheap anyway

I didn't realise you could buy the barrels separately, any idea where from?

Google is your friend mate

Unfortunately its not, I've already searched and couldn't find anybody in the UK who sells the drum separately. Based on your earlier post I thought you knew of someone.

Ah, gotcha. I was searching specifically for Thumlers drums. Do you reckon a general rock tumbling drum would do the job?

I would say so the rock tumbling process is very similar to stainless media tumbling for brass!

Cool, cheers for that.