Thread: RWS/Diana 54 Airking- some observations/ramblings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Airking

I too have one of these and a fine old thumper it is 😊

Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeon View Post
    I too have one of these and a fine old thumper it is 😊
    Would that be in the elephant calibre?

A very interesting post. It is pleasing to read about high quality rifles other than HW and, in my (humble) opinion, Diana's Original 45 was one of the best air rifles ever made; it is unfortunate they did not upgrade and keep the model going. I rather became lost when they introduced so many alternatives, such as their range with thirty something or other - poor marketing in my view. Everyone had heard of the 45.

There is presumably quite a curvature in the pellet flight on a .25 calibre. If sighted at 30 yds, there must surely be an enormous hold-under and hold-over at 20 yds and 40 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    A very interesting post. It is pleasing to read about high quality rifles other than HW and, in my (humble) opinion, Diana's Original 45 was one of the best air rifles ever made; it is unfortunate they did not upgrade and keep the model going. I rather became lost when they introduced so many alternatives, such as their range with thirty something or other - poor marketing in my view. Everyone had heard of the 45.

There is presumably quite a curvature in the pellet flight on a .25 calibre. If sighted at 30 yds, there must surely be an enormous hold-under and hold-over at 20 yds and 40 yds.
    Thanks Andrew and all.
    Yes this 54 certainly has the right build quality and tolerances seem excellent. Like many factory production guns it could do with a spit n polish and relube- but as this is one of the better ones I've encountered of late I'm in no rush to have the gun apart.

The trajectory is loopy as to be expected and its the reason I've robbed a Hawke MAP scope off one of the other guns onto this so I can get accustomed to some aim points at varying ranges. As has been mentioned in practically every .25 calibre thread likely ever posted here I intend to limit hunting range. To be honest I do so nowadays anyhow- irrespective of calibre. I havent done any hard and fast calculations on holdover/under Andrew. Just zeroed around the 20 yards and taken it from there. I did however step things up to the 30 yard mark last weekend and groups achieved were not disimilar to what I can achieve in other calibres (notwithstanding the large impact area) Its never going to be used out to 40 yards though. Ever. I'm happy for close in quarry- such as squirrel and crow for now. It would be good for rat too- but I rarely get the opportunity these days it would seem.

Like you I greatly enjoy the look and feel of Dianas, but as you say a number of models are simply a play on a base model. The 34 for example crops up in a multitude of guises and I for one think that Diana could rationalise things on this front.

The 45 is certainly an all time classic and here again Diana were one of the early (but not only) manufacturers to go off the beaten path and introduce a .20 calibre model. I think all the way back in those days a .25 model would have been a step too far for the times- but I'm sure would have been an equally worthy gun.

Dave

Elephant calibre

Yes it is 😊

Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeon View Post
    Yes it is 😊
    What's the story behind that one mate? Date wise and its background (if you.dont.mind me asking)? Contrary to what I posted above this one is actually 04 2000.
    Would you know if yours was a special order or something? As I picked this one up in the Swansea area I think its at the very least been owned.local to that area for a time if not originally from there.
    Dave

Airking

Mine was bought brand new and is dated as march 2005. It has the TO5 trigger unit and is a fabulous if weighty bit of kit.
    I also own a model 52 in said calibre and while it recoils it's still a fabulous machine 😊