Thread: Ruger Old Army 44 cal revolver

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChipShoulder View Post
    I have been to the shop again to look, but due to a lack of knowledge I'll not be buying it.
    I don't want to risk my money or slot on my certificate.
    For those interested, it is £400.
    I've noticed Henry K have 4 in stock from £400-£695, so can't be all that rare or cheap.
    All our work here to convince you and tell you all about it, with many, many years of real-live hands-on experience, and you're still not sure. Shakes head.....

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    All our work here to convince you and tell you all about it, with many, many years of real-live hands-on experience, and you're still not sure. Shakes head.....
    From post 39
    I have to disagree that they are bomb proof.

Someone at the club bought a ROA. The cylinder, when it is at full cock would not lock up tight, it could be moved about .020" in either direction of the barrel centreline.
    It was either badly worn internally, or had been bodged up by someone. I did not look at the slots on the cylinder itself but I don;t think they would have been worn. It had no accuracy at all probably because the ball was being shaved if the cylinder moved to one side when it was fired.

All that glitters is not gold, as they say.
    Anything you buy second hand needs to be checked thoroughly. It is too late once you have parted with your hard earned dosh

Tac,

All you have told me is that Your gun has been running for 30 odd years with no issue and because of that they are ALL good.

Please tell me if you have inspected the gun I've been offered?

If no, how can you know it's condition?

Are you seriously telling me you can tell the condition of every gun in the world ever made because yours is OK?

I have had PM's giving me some advice about what to look for, and once that information was relayed, the people contacted couldn't help me.

This gun has slop in the Barrel at full cock, it has rust pitting that's been cleaned out and it has vice/clamp marks in the body.
    Also the story changed as to how the shop got it twice. Once it was an old guys and he had a heart attack before he could shoot it (so it's new) the second time the story was the police had it for 5 years.

If I had some proper help, I could make a decision, but with no knowledge on this gun, and no club member to help me. I'm not going to sell a load of my personal stuff to buy an unknown and take up the last space on my certificate. You may have money to throw away and lots of empty spots on your licence, But I do not, I'm really sorry about that!

I'd love to buy it, but I can't take the risk with no info on what to look for.
    Are you going to drive over to south Wales and help me out, I doubt it!
    I'm still waiting for you to get me the info you promised you'd get me about a scope from about 2 years ago, YES I STILL REMEMBER!

I'm shaking my head as well !
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 21-07-2020 at 10:11 PM.

Tac,

All you have told me is that Your gun has been running for 30 odd years with no issue and because of that they are ALL good.

Please tell me if you have inspected the gun I've been offered?

If no, how can you know it's condition?

Are you seriously telling me you can tell the condition of every gun in the world ever made because yours is OK?

I have had PM's giving me some advice about what to look for, and once that information was relayed, the people contacted couldn't help me.

This gun has slop in the Barrel at full cock, it has rust pitting that's been cleaned out and it has vice/clamp marks in the body.
    Also the story changed as to how the shop got it twice. Once it was an old guys and he had a heart attack before he could shoot it (so it's new) the second time the story was the police had it for 5 years.

If I had some proper help, I could make a decision, but with no knowledge on this gun, and no club member to help me. I'm not going to sell a load of my personal stuff to buy an unknown and take up the last space on my certificate. You may have money to throw away and lots of empty spots on your licence, But I do not, I'm really sorry about that!

I'd love to buy it, but I can't take the risk with no info on what to look for.
    Are you going to drive over to south Wales and help me out, I doubt it!
    I'm still waiting for you to get me the info you promised you'd get me about a scope from about 2 years ago, YES I STILL REMEMBER!

I'm shaking my head as well !
    Goodnight, Mr Chiponshoulder. Back on the ignore step for you, Sir.

Goodnight, Mr Chiponshoulder. Back on the ignore step for you, Sir.
    Yes and the very same to you, you arrogant piece of work!

Please Note,
    Tac has now removed most of his comments, so nobody can see what he wrote on this topic!
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 21-07-2020 at 11:11 PM.

if you were unsure about the revolver then you did the best thing and walk away.
    as you say you have found a few more so they are about.
    staff at henry kranks are excellent and will help you out if needed.
    i needed a main spring for an obsolete calibre remington 1871 rolling block pistol and i couldnt find one anywhere.
    i took the old brased up one in to kranks and spoke to ken who found one from an uberti replica he had in stock.
    it wasnt the same but could be made to fit.....asked him for price
    he said you need to heat it / bend it and re anneal etc sp if you break it which is quite possible then sling it in bin no charge......if it works then pop back in a few weeks and pay for it........it worked
    back to your thread again...... dont be put off by this revolver as they are the best out there....
    need any help then pm me

Thank you Loiner,

The quality of the Ruger Old Army has never been in doubt after you guys had told me they are the best, and indeed, I could feel the quality in my hand in the shop. The problem was with this actual gun, it had suspicious marks and some play where I was told there should be none.

If there had been a person I trust by my side to check to gun over, I'd have bought it without a second thought, but unfortunately this is/was not the case and as you say, if in doubt, walk away. If I had just bought it blind because a forum member told me to and it turned out to be junk, I'd be stuck with an old obsolete gun needing fixing with no spares backup. I'd also be £400 down, not be able to sell it or shoot it and I'd have lost the only place on my certificate for a 44 revolver, so buying a second 44 revolver would not be an option until this one was gone (or fixed).

I have looked at Krank and GunStar/Trader and there are a good few listed for about the same money, so I have options. By the sound of what I read, BP pistols are falling on hard times now, and the values are falling by the day. I don't 'need' a BP revolver, I'd just like one, so as they say, you never know what tomorrow will bring?

I have given some thought to the Remmy I was offered the other day, I trust the seller and it's only £150. By the seems of it, even £150 is too much these days, but the gun is exactly what I'd have wanted if I were buying a Remmy 1858 and the seller says it's tight, mint and basically new. I CAN afford to loss £150, so there is no real risk here, so this maybe my best option until a better Ruger comes along, and it will one day.

Who knows what is hiding away in my club members gun safes

I've got a Ruger safe queen; bought it after the owner died after hardly ever using it at all, I had first option on it & took it. Never fired it myself and will probably sell it this year to someone local.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Thank you Loiner,

The quality of the Ruger Old Army has never been in doubt after you guys had told me they are the best, and indeed, I could feel the quality in my hand in the shop. The problem was with this actual gun, it had suspicious marks and some play where I was told there should be none.

If there had been a person I trust by my side to check to gun over, I'd have bought it without a second thought, but unfortunately this is/was not the case and as you say, if in doubt, walk away. If I had just bought it blind because a forum member told me to and it turned out to be junk, I'd be stuck with an old obsolete gun needing fixing with no spares backup. I'd also be £400 down, not be able to sell it or shoot it and I'd have lost the only place on my certificate for a 44 revolver, so buying a second 44 revolver would not be an option until this one was gone (or fixed).

I have looked at Krank and GunStar/Trader and there are a good few listed for about the same money, so I have options. By the sound of what I read, BP pistols are falling on hard times now, and the values are falling by the day. I don't 'need' a BP revolver, I'd just like one, so as they say, you never know what tomorrow will bring?

I have given some thought to the Remmy I was offered the other day, I trust the seller and it's only £150. By the seems of it, even £150 is too much these days, but the gun is exactly what I'd have wanted if I were buying a Remmy 1858 and the seller says it's tight, mint and basically new. I CAN afford to loss £150, so there is no real risk here, so this maybe my best option until a better Ruger comes along, and it will one day.

Who knows what is hiding away in my club members gun safes
    my pleasure and i glad to be of service....
    now i do own a mint pietta 1858 NMA and i be honest here rob they are not in the same division as the ruger.
    great fun and can be accurate esp the pedersoli version but again different price range.

I could be partly to blame for this. Because Mr Chip Shoulder thought you were a mod and he could not post anything else on the thread he sent me a PM.

This:-
    I checked that just now, there was some play I could see and feel, but it wasn't exactly slopping about. Having just reread your comment, I only checked one cylinder !!! Bugger!
    I did take a video of the one cylinder I checked. There were also marks on it that looked like cleaned up rust pitting and vice clamping marks! Also the metal was marked a bit around the nipples as if the cylinder had been catching as it rotates? This can also be seen in the video.
    So not sure, I expect no, I see that HK also have one in stock at the same £400 price.

I sent this reply:-
    Hi, You can sometimes expect a little bit of rust on an older gun, especially blackpowder, so long as it is not deep and appears to have been badly neglected. I would be wary of any gun with vice marks. Why has it been in a vice? Anyone who is competent would have used lead sheet or thick leather to clamp it up to avoid damage.
    The nipples should not be binding anywhere. You do get a line on well used pistols where the locking pawl drags along the cylinder between the locking lugs while it is rotating, but that is normal.
    I cannot decide this for you I'm afraid it is up to you. But from what you have told me I would look for something else.
    I hope this helps.

It might have been better if he had started a new thread with the question about the condition of the gun and what to look for.
    Last edited by enfield2band; 22-07-2020 at 09:12 AM.