Thread: Dioptre sight mystery

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Phil

Just done some research, some of the very early Walther small bore sights had a split clamp fitting, but its a real golden oldie, probably 50's!

Have Fun

Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Phil

Just done some research, some of the very early Walther small bore sights had a split clamp fitting, but its a real golden oldie, probably 50's!

Have Fun

Robin
    Sorry, no photo. Golden Oldie (like me??). Does that mean it is valuable? Maybe I should try and acquire it?
    The thumb screw was threaded 4mm and was a typical thumb screw with a threaded 'tube' extension about 6mm diameter (as part of the thumbscrew) that went through the rh side of the sight. The 4mm 'bolt' then screwed into this extension. The tube was long enough to almost reach the lh side of the sight, but not quite, so as to allow room for tightening the sides of the sight. The bolt was about 30mm long and was at some point, I guess, fixed to the thumbscrew extension by a clip to prevent the thumbscrew from being fully removed. Looking down the dovetail slots on the underside of the sight I could see that the tube extension was just visible along the dovetail grooves. This caused the tube extension to just contact the curved cylinder/dovetail top on the LGR. It may have been possible to reduce the outer diameter of the tube to give clearance for the cylinder. I guess about 0.25mm would have done it. On another point, it was not possible to get the sight on the LGR dovetail without springing them with a 'tool'. They could not be slid on from an end because of the position of the dovetail on the cylinder and the cylinder end cap.

Oh what fun.
    Cheers, Phil