Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage air guns for competition

Had another think!.ok rifle Hammerli model 4, pistols could be Crossman model 2 , or if multi shot is required crossman 600 in.22, simply the best multi shoot pistol i have in my collection. atb

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    To keep in the original spirit of bell dinging, I would probably go for my H the lincoln, or a militia heavy
    Yep, reading about bell target shooting is what gave me the idea!

Cheers!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Jim...if this is the info you have already seen, sorry in advance!....if not, some great bell target stuff here;

http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac....arget/bt01.htm

Maybe you should start a stateside league.or do guys already do it over there (just asking as I have an old crosman box with a bell target in it, and some *double sided* targets marked "power without powder")

**one side is a "standard shooting gallery"........the reverse a "standard small bore 25 yard"..Rochester 7, N.Y. address so maybe 1950's/60's???

FWB 300, the finest air rifle ever made.
    ATB
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi Jim...if this is the info you have already seen, sorry in advance!....if not, some great bell target stuff here;

http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac....arget/bt01.htm

Maybe you should start a stateside league.or do guys already do it over there (just asking as I have an old crosman box with a bell target in it, and some *double sided* targets marked "power without powder")

**one side is a "standard shooting gallery"........the reverse a "standard small bore 25 yard"..Rochester 7, N.Y. address so maybe 1950's/60's???
    Thanks, Ed. Yes, I had read that article before. That's what got me interested in this fine old sport. Did you note that the article is taken from a book? I plan to order it!

I've never heard of bell target shooting in the US - never heard of it at all, till I read that article. I'm glad to see that it's still being practiced, to some extent at least, in the UK.

Could you post some pics of that Crosman box and stuff? Thanks!

Cheers,

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 23-04-2009 at 10:23 PM.
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Thumbs up Bsa

Bsa Improved model B, A True 6yd Bell target weapon.

Hi Jim,

We have a thriving 'Bell Target' or 'Vintage' section at the BFTO (www.BFTO.org.uk), we regularly get 20+ shooters each week shooting at a variety of targets but we predominantly shoot at 6&8 yards at a 1/2 inch target. We set Vintage as pre 1945 for our competitions.

Nearly all of us shoot pre war BSA's with a few Lincoln's thrown in. It never ceases to amze us how accurate these rifles can be, especially given their age. I shoot an improved model d made in 1908 and have managed 21 consecutive bulls at a 1/2 inch @ 6 yards.
    A man's best friend is his weapon.....

BFTO Member and Vintage enthusiast.

has any got detailed photos of a bell target? i shot it many years ago i would be able to make a few??
    rgds scirroco

I'm delighted to see that this good old sport is alive and thriving, OT! Does your club use a real bell target?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Timer View Post
    Hi Jim,

We have a thriving 'Bell Target' or 'Vintage' section at the BFTO (www.BFTO.org.uk), we regularly get 20+ shooters each week shooting at a variety of targets but we predominantly shoot at 6&8 yards at a 1/2 inch target. We set Vintage as pre 1945 for our competitions.

Nearly all of us shoot pre war BSA's with a few Lincoln's thrown in. It never ceases to amze us how accurate these rifles can be, especially given their age. I shoot an improved model d made in 1908 and have managed 21 consecutive bulls at a 1/2 inch @ 6 yards.

I'll bet you'd have many orders for one, Scirocco: also that the target itself will stir up more interest in the sport.

Cheers!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by scirroco View Post
    has any got detailed photos of a bell target? i shot it many years ago i would be able to make a few??
    rgds scirroco
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 22-04-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Bell Target

Since many of the original Bell Target shoots took place in pubs in the West Midlands I wonder if accuracy was unduly effected by too much M&B Brew Eleven or even Dark Mild....

We have a talented metal worker, so we have made our own. However I believe we have one based on an original target. For photo's see airgunner article on vintage shooting @ Bisley. I'll try and gets some pics up to flikr when I get a mo. The targets are 6" across or so and graduated with 1/2" rings with the bull being 1/2". 1 is setup with 3/8" and one a copy of the larger target as seen in the back of Hillers airgun book with a bird 'pop up'. All made from 1/2" boiler plate. We use a white powder paint mixed with castor oil asthe marker medium.

havnt got time for orders!! living between here and germany and boxing guns and mailing them only got about 50 left in my collection to sell !! but it would be nice to make a couple and get a group of us together one of the days??
    rgds scirroco

we are always on hand every wednesday eve from around 4pm until 11pm @ Bisley if you ever wanted to pop by and have a ding at our bell targets!

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Jim.......Pictures of crosman target here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...7617193739496/

Its not very sophisticated compared to the early ones as shown in old books, and the target area that rings the bell is quite large....Also to all out there, I can highly recommend going down and shooting with the Bisley guys...a great bunch of real enthusiasts, a great setting, and above all, FUN