Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA Buccaneer... great fun...

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

BSA Buccaneer... great fun...

Own up, how many of you had one as a kid ?

Just got my "project" up and running with the help of some scorpion trigger bits. Easy for the kids to handle and shoot, accurate enough (would probably be better if I fed it on 5.6mm pellets, but not really worth it at 10-15 yards), nice to shoot. Trigger isn't at all bad either, but best of all the memories from all those decades ago The first "modern" springer bullpup ?

I guess as kids guns and the abuse that went with that, they are getting quite hard to find these days. I have pretty well enough bits to build another one, but just need to find that elusive stock... so if anyone sees one, however crap the condition, please hook us up
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Interesting you should mention 'bullpup', apparently some Cadet forces (are they forces?) chose them over the traditional BSA Meteor Cadet as the balance is very similar to the SA80 rifle. I had a Buccaneer a few years ago and thought it was great, the problem I found with it was that the thumbhole was too small for my hand, I could not get the correct 'straight back' trigger press as my thumb could not go far enough through to get proper alignment. The strange rigid foam stock will not tolerate modification as far as I know. The action can be modified for more power, if you get the shorter of the two Scorpion pistons and remove the buffer washer to long-stroke it and stick a more powerful spring in, you can get 8 or 9 fpe.

I took my .177 Buccaneer to the last Boinger bash and every one that had a shoot with it on the bell target enjoyed the experience ,they are great shooters and a lot of fun..
    Atb
    Les..

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yep, planning to long stroke it with a diana 28mm parachute type seal, but to be honest the power is really irrelevant to me. Thumbhole is a bit small, but I think maybe you are setting your standards too high My stock has been modified - with car body filler to replace corners of the butt and cheekpiece where corners got knocked off.. However as the PO had sprayed it black (somewhat badly), I'll just respray it when I've finished the repairs.

I missed that Bash Les... pity. The spare (very tatty) .22 barrel I have might end up getting relined to .177 - that'd also solve the 5.6mm pellet problem and make it cheaper to feed.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Whadya mean as a kid? I bought one last year

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Whadya mean as a kid? I bought one last year

John
    And I've got a couple more to go, a boxed .177 and an unboxed .22.

Hi Shed tuner - I know just how you feel - Mine's a .22 one found last year that was leaning up in a shed with some timber - probably undisturbed for 20 years.
    It looked like a relic with a thick layer of dust and built up crud on it and missing the open sights.

Fortunately it was a dry shed, as it cleaned up lovely, with most of the blue remaining and appeared never to have been shot much. I had some aperture sights for a Meteor so they went on. Its the most fun with an airgun I've had in years.
    Last edited by silva; 07-01-2018 at 02:31 PM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Thumbs up

I never had one as a kid but do now!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Been trying to buy one for ages! PM me anyone!

BSA Buccaneer... great fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    yep, planning to long stroke it with a diana 28mm parachute type seal, but to be honest the power is really irrelevant to me. Thumbhole is a bit small, but I think maybe you are setting your standards too high My stock has been modified - with car body filler to replace corners of the butt and cheekpiece where corners got knocked off.. However as the PO had sprayed it black (somewhat badly), I'll just respray it when I've finished the repairs.

I missed that Bash Les... pity. The spare (very tatty) .22 barrel I have might end up getting relined to .177 - that'd also solve the 5.6mm pellet problem and make it cheaper to feed.
    a crosman 766 barrel liner would make a good donor if you can find a one being broken for spares.

The Buccaneer is deemed a junior type rifle but the length to pull on the trigger is nearly 15" inches,so us big kids can and do enjoy shooting them.
    They are a great addition to any collection.
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I never had one as a kid but do now!!

John
    That's in lovely condition John.
    Regards
    Les..

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Own up, how many of you had one as a kid ?

Just got my "project" up and running with the help of some scorpion trigger bits. Easy for the kids to handle and shoot, accurate enough (would probably be better if I fed it on 5.6mm pellets, but not really worth it at 10-15 yards), nice to shoot. Trigger isn't at all bad either, but best of all the memories from all those decades ago The first "modern" springer bullpup ?

I guess as kids guns and the abuse that went with that, they are getting quite hard to find these days. I have pretty well enough bits to build another one, but just need to find that elusive stock... so if anyone sees one, however crap the condition, please hook us up
    Quote Originally Posted by les allam View Post
    I took my .177 Buccaneer to the last Boinger bash and every one that had a shoot with it on the bell target enjoyed the experience ,they are great shooters and a lot of fun..
    Atb
    Les..

I bought a cheap, tatty Scorpion when I was 17. And the trigger was one of the stand-out features that I remembered about it, JB. Did I remember BSA quoting back in the day that the trigger mechanism was of the Martini design?

And yes, Les, I was one of the fortunate few that had a go with yours at the last Bash. Thank you. It was excellent and certainly far better than I expected. And, in Buccaneer format, the firing cycle was so much sweeter and more benign than I remember the handful of a pistol demonstrating.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    It was excellent and certainly far better than I expected. And, in Buccaneer format, the firing cycle was so much sweeter and more benign than I remember the handful of a pistol demonstrating.
    The Scorpion seems to have been inspired by the BSF S20, a hand-cannon type air-pistol which is really an air-rifle cut down and plonked on a pistol grip.

When BSA did make a 'proper' air pistol (240 Magnum) it went for the Webley type layout, with some excellent innovations such as a fixed barrel. I think it suffered from being a little too light for the power it developed and consequently failed to make any friends.... BSA never found the happy medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    And I've got a couple more to go, a boxed .177 and an unboxed .22.
    Someone off here bought mine,was it you sir?.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/7192...21379/?fref=ts Rapid 7,HW100kt .177,Theoben Fenman, BSA Goldstar,Daystate HW30S shrouded and tuned, HW99S (Paul Short tuned)