Thread: The Challenger Arms Corporation Plainsman (pneumatic) air pistol...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Did you find that the Nitrile and Viton rubber ones swell up from absorbing CO2 and you need to leave them quite a while before they return to a size where you can refit the cap ? I had to order a load of special ones for my C02 Plainsman.

Baz
    Not really. It depends on how long you are going to shoot with it. At about 15 usable shots at full power per 8g cartridge, that end cap isn't going to be exposed to CO2 for long enough unless you leave the cartridge in the pistol.

O-rings

I think you'll find that all of the American CO2 end seals are the same. The Crosman part number is 150-054 and is easily found under that number on the bay etc. I stocked up on the opaque white ones that are a harder compound which resists any CO2 and holds up to the abrasion from use.

Thanks DT. Although a search of that number only gives this....

http://www./itm/Male-Power-Wings-pou...dB1_BHO7aaNckA

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieDee View Post
    Thanks DT. Although a search of that number only gives this....

http://www./itm/Male-Power-Wings-pou...dB1_BHO7aaNckA
    Apparently what I saw were a bunch of US listings. In any case, the best way to source common parts like this is to go through one of the major shops in the US like MAC-1, Precision Pellet, etc. They've already gone to the effort of finding the right parts that really work.

Not really. It depends on how long you are going to shoot with it. At about 15 usable shots at full power per 8g cartridge, that end cap isn't going to be exposed to CO2 for long enough unless you leave the cartridge in the pistol.
    Yes we find the maximum number of decent shots is 20 from the 8 grm, and the black rubber seals expand immediately you take off the end cap to put in the new capsule. All my CO2 pistols now have 90 degree Shore A polyurethane seals in as I buy them in bulk. The Crosman 600 seal fits a lot of different pistols, but not the Challenger which is larger.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

It looks like I will be writing an article about the Plainsman (Goodenow) pneumatic air rifle soon....

What's the going rate for one?

DT, your bulk fill CO2 Challenger. Is that bulk fill only. Or bulk fill and pump up? Or bulk fill and 8g CO2?

All the best,
    Jimmie

DT, your bulk fill CO2 Challenger. Is that bulk fill only. Or bulk fill and pump up? Or bulk fill and 8g CO2?

All the best,
    Jimmie
    It is bulk fill only and cannot be converted to pump up. I believe that the guns could be made either bulk fill or 8g cartridge.

I have to say that I am aware of the issues with Buna-N and nitrile o-rings and their expansion when exposed to CO2 but I have been using a Buna-N o-ring as the end cap seal for a few days now with no expansion issues at all. I’ve probably gone through four or five CO2 capsules. I never leave full or partially full CO2 capsules in my guns so they only get used fo a short period before the cap is removed and a new cartridge is fitted. So I think it is entirely possible to use “standard” o-rings on the end cap.