Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: orig 45 v fwb124

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

orig 45 v fwb124

ive just been lucky enough to get hold of another of my dream rifles and for the first time ive been able to sit them on the table side by side .and started the inevitable of deciding which is going to hold 1st position in my hunting kit.
    first off i held each one and getting used to the 45 v my beloved 124 umm ,
    the slimmer forend of the 124 ,the balance,sculptered comb,trigger feel all came out giving to my mind the advantage to the 124 is it personnel bias?.
    a closer study of the 45 seemed to give more credence to this ,the o/a length of the 45 is longer[40mm]the breech block is a bit deeper and longer,balance point forward biased.
    the total weight of the 45 scoped up is .5kg more i think [had to use bathroom scales]but im sure it is noticeably greater.
    i havnt taken the 45 out into the field yet as i like to have my kit fully sorted to my preference so in my garden range the 45 did display the same confident hit what i aim for performance,silly expression maybe but over the years some rifles are to my mind more or less predictable[this may be down to my style].so in conclusion i think the lighter more lithe 124 will still hold 1st position, but on days where more stability in windy conditions is an advantage i think the 45 would be an advantage.friends tell me my next acquesision to the stables sholud be an hw77 being a contemporary of the first two unless anyone feels there is a more eligable example.regards bob.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

can't comment on the fwb as i've never owned one (nearly did once but that's another story)
    i have an original mod45 in .177cal and i love it to bits (but then i love all original stuff!)
    i don't find it overly heavy but do find it powerful and very accurate, it's accounted for loads of ferrals in the foundry where i work

john
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

the 45 is a seriously butch airgun and really gives one confidence shes up for the job,but if you ever want an alternative thats a tad more balanced a 124 is the one ,the real weakness to my mind is the tendency for the 124 to occasionaly suffer from barrel droop and lock up probs ,droop is the case with mine although this hasnt affected its performance [accuracey]the 45s breech area looks more the beefy enough not to suffer this shortcoming.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

The FWB Sport always wins on balance, ergonomics, weight and looks. The 45 is every bit as accurate but just as tricky to get to shoot straight as both are "springers". However, the most forgiving and therefore most consistent rifle I ever owned was a HW77; which had the heft, trigger and inherent accuracy.
    The Sport is the finest walkabout rifle and the HW77 the static tack driver.

Some of the most up to date springers, such as Air Arms, are every bit as good. Theobens are great too but with most of the springer tendencies. The smoother the springer the easier it is to shoot consistently, pellet on pellet; well sometimes anyway. Springers like being shot standing or at least unsupported and therefor wind adds to your problems. PCPs are very forgiving so allowing one to concentrate more on the wind. If it is windy I leave my springers at home as the group size does my head in.

FWB/'45

Hiya Bob,

Both springers are classics and if you could re- wind the clock back to the early/mid 80's I think you would find that both had a very big following. Those and of course the all conquering HW80.

The HW77 turned things on their heads though when introduced, and the "K" versions I have handled certainly balance very very well and are extremely accurate rifles.

There are of course other classic springers about you could also add to your armoury that were about at the same time back then- but maybe not to so popular. Anschutz 335, Original 50T01, HW35E to name a few.

Personally I find it too close to call between these two- though for my part all the FWBs I own are 127s so I cannot comment especially on the .177 version. I do own the RWS 45 variant of the Original in both calibres and they are both accurate rifles though I think the .177 version just edges things. Both the FWB and the Originals have much to commend them. I think its horses for courses, and I am happy to shoot either and appreciate the respective qualities. How's that for sitting on the fence?

Keep up the collecting mate,

Dave

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    What an interesting thread (cheers Bob). Having conducted my own Pepsi Challenge with my FWB 124, Original Mod. 45, Anshutz LG335, HW35 T-H and Webley Omega carbine (all in .177 by the way), I found that for superior smoothness, easy pointability, silky recoil, ease of cocking, repeated accuracy in the field, and general all-round joy of shooting that the Anshutz out shun all, but was closely followed by my Omega, then the FWB 124, with the Mod.45 (which got marked down due to its length as this makes it too cumbersome regarding manoeuvrability when hunting/stalking etc) coming in a highly respectable 3rd . Finally, okay so the HW35 T-H came 4th, but it is still one of my favourite rifles and heaps better than many many others . Atb: G.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 10-11-2008 at 10:02 AM. Reason: to ad praise for my HW35 T-H as it is also a superb air rifle.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Like GARETH says: 'An interesting thread'.
    Im surprised no one has mentioned the BSF 55/60/70 range of rifles. Notice I didn't include the model 54 as this is, shall we say, rather agricultural in build quality and has the balance of a house brick but loved by some.

Personally, my vote goes towards the FWB Sport although the '45 in .20 cal. has a certain something.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I've whittled down my collection recently from having loads of 80's rifles; but the ones I've kept and the ones that I want to add fit this thread.
    I've kept my FWB Sport 124 and had to buy my 13 year old son one. Why? Because of its ease of cocking, good trigger, accuracy and weight. I've also kept an Anschutz 335 because it is every bit as good as a Sport except on power. Accuracy rules. Weight does matter if only for plinking good fun and not tiring through a lengthy shooting session.
    I want a replacement HW77 .177 to shoot as I sold my last and wished I hadn't. I'm looking for a mint 45 and Omega .177 to finish my mint sporting rifle collection that I've cropped to a limit of 10 rifles.
    Lastly, there needs to be room for an Air Arms Prosport, which I've never owned but its reputation is enough.

My shooters are: Sharp Innova .177, x2 FWB Sports .177, Anschuts 335 .177, Theoben HE Sirocco Grand Prix .177, Webley Omega .22, 2x Walther Cowboy/lever actions CO2's, BSA Cadet, BSA Buccaneer and an ASI Paratrooper. Sporters and plinkers with enough to cater for all sizes and matching pairs for one on one comps. One thing is they all shoot straight if one does ones bit. That will do us.
    Last edited by Muskett; 10-11-2008 at 01:25 PM.

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    What an interesting thread (cheers Bob). Having conducted my own Pepsi Challenge with my FWB 124, Original Mod. 45, Anshutz LG335, HW35 T-H and Webley Omega carbine (all in .177 by the way), I found that for superior smoothness, easy pointability, silky recoil, ease of cocking, repeated accuracy in the field, and general all-round joy of shooting that the Anshutz out shun all, but was closely followed by my Omega, then the FWB 124, with the Mod.45 (which got marked down due to its length as this makes it too cumbersome regarding manoeuvrability when hunting/stalking etc) coming in a highly respectable 3rd . Finally, okay so the HW35 T-H came 4th, but it is still one of my favourite rifles and heaps better than many many others . Atb: G.

Gareth, you're just a bloody great show off. I'm not jealous at all...

Paul
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Hello all,

Since joining this site I have heard nothing but praise for the Diana 45 which at first surprised me now it just up sets me

I bought one from new about 15 or 20 years ago and it was a bloody awful gun I tried to take it back to the shop but was only offered a fraction of what I had paid for it "because its now second hand!" and it doesn't come with warranty.

Even though every pellet put into the breach got crushed when the barrel was closed.

It was loud noisy and recoiled worse than a shotgun and seemed under powered.

However when the staff tested the gun it according to them it had plenty of power.

They dry fired the gun without a pellet in the breach and I was told that was the how they test all there guns!!!!

I didn't know how wrong these professionals were at the time.

Now I believe this had been done before I bought the gun many times and the insides was chewed up.

I fell in love with the gun when I first saw it and only wish it could have lived up to its looks.

Now I see how well respected these guns are and know how they should and shouldn't be treated I wish I had kept it and spent some time and money tuning it to its full protential.

I now think you are all lucky to own such a lovely gun, that actually works as it should.

Maybe I'll find one for my collection one day and start to enjoy this rifle.

Sorry to jump into your thread like this hope you don't mind.

Johnj.

DM80 Guest
    the fwb sport and the original 45 are great airguns and both respond well to tuning' both guns new out of the box were very twangy and their recoil was a bit harsh but a bit of time spent on them and they shot brilliant both guns are equal on accruacy as both guns use the best barrels on any airgun in my opinion' and overall performance build quality of both rifles is excellent i would say though the 45 is the stronger gun they could take serious abuse from magnum tuners of the 80's sports could be a bit fragile and easy to shaft in the wrong hands also triggers and barrel lockup was iffy i've come across quite a few sports with worn barrel latches and lock ups etc never seen a 45 with worn sloppy breech even abused one's one thing i did not like about the 45 was that awful cast frontsight unit on the earlier models' as for looks its no contest the FWB mk1 sport is a beautiful airgun best looking breakbarrel spring gun ever made only springers that come close to its good looks were the HW85 luxus and the Beeman R1's in my opinion both these guns were better than either the sport or 45' as for the 45's looks i like them not a pretty gun by any standards they just look mean and ready for the job i once owned a tyrolean custom stocked 45 great looking gun but like a fool sold it on big regret.

dave.

Totally agree with what Dave has just said. Who am I, a mere mortal to dis agree.
    While the 'Sport can have a weak spot in the form of barrel lock up but then again I think the barrel on the Original/RWS 45 is made of poor quality steel in some cases as I have seen these bend quite easily - in one case due to over enthusiastic cocking!

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

always wanted an original 45 but when i did get one it was a dissapointment for the power output too big and as mentioned they trap and distort every pellet you put in the breech
    for ME the sport is the perfect springer as far as looks balance and performance goes nothing comes close to the sport

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    I note all of Dave's words, and agree totally with all he says (he now ownes one of my Mod.45 .177s by the way ), but I still say my Anschutz LG335 (which in turn came from Dave), is the best of the batch, even if it does only muster 10.5ft.lb -- a truly perfect shoot and more than adequate for hunting thumper out to 35 yards (beyond that I go all FAC anyway ). Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

DM80 Guest
    but I still say my Anschutz LG335 (which in turn came from Dave), is the best of the batch,

335 nice guns but in the 80's i could not live with its puny power output had to be 11.99999999999999.9 for me or it was cr@p

dave.