Thread: An "All Round" Air Rifle Scope, Spring or PCP ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quite like the Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40AO Dead Hold BDC Reticle that Les had mounted on one of his air rifles at the Spring Bashes although these are about £50 new above my budgetery figure.
    “An airgun or two”………

i used to swap between the tasco saphyre and the simmons deer hunter. no difference. but for some reason i prefered the tasco. suppose it was the light shade it had.
    that simmons could catch some light.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Falcon M18, side focus, bomb proof internals which pass every box test I have done, reasonable lenses and a good reticle if you want to holdover or a superb top turret if you dial, all for £200!

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p124932-fal.../#.WP9XtE2GOUk

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    Falcon M18, side focus, bomb proof internals which pass every box test I have done, reasonable lenses and a good reticle if you want to holdover or a superb top turret if you dial, all for £200!

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p124932-fal.../#.WP9XtE2GOUk
    Now that ticks a few boxes !
    Worth a bit more investigation I think !
    “An airgun or two”………

What are they like with a WDV night vision add on?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I have a few Falcon scopes, 2x T50's, a 5-25x50 and the M18, I will be buying another two M18's for the two rifles I have that need scopes when I finish them (Webley Tomahawk & Hw97K) The 5-25 is quite a heavy scope for the mag but that's because they are very robustly built, but in the M18 it's pretty much spot on for £200!

Have you seen my Falcon Menace in sales Jon ? possibly maybe to big for your needs, but.......

Yes Dave, seen that. I'm just covering all the bases at the minute.
    Ta
    “An airgun or two”………

Falcon m18

I bought one of these a couple of months ago, the first focal plane is very good, and the lense let's in a lot of light you can shoot right up until its properly dark. Only criticism a bit wieghty and no illuminated ret. Top quality kit.
    mk2 rapid.22

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I asked this same question a few months ago and was supplied with the same excellent recommendations (apart from MTC), I ended up with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50, which I have to admit is an excellent scope for what I payed for it secondhand off here, I wanted something that would sit on my Theoben Sirocco 2000 and only had a certain amount of clearance because of the fixed scope mounts, the Nikon fits with just a small amount of room before it would hit the main body (it's that close I can't get the lens cap on), I also love Bushnells and about six years ago picked up a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 (after reading how good they are) to replace my Legend but the Legend just had the edge, so sold the Nikon on to fund another project (like we do), I haven't tested it yet in the field as I've not had time to get out but I'm hoping it is just as good as the Legend (not that it's replacing it this time as the Legend is permanently mated to my Prosport) as it has the 50 front lens that should put it on a par, a no fuss scope with no silly extras I don't really need and hopefully the nice bright lenses I'm going to need.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I asked this same question a few months ago and was supplied with the same excellent recommendations (apart from MTC), I ended up with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50, which I have to admit is an excellent scope for what I payed for it secondhand off here, I wanted something that would sit on my Theoben Sirocco 2000 and only had a certain amount of clearance because of the fixed scope mounts, the Nikon fits with just a small amount of room before it would hit the main body (it's that close I can't get the lens cap on), I also love Bushnells and about six years ago picked up a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 (after reading how good they are) to replace my Legend but the Legend just had the edge, so sold the Nikon on to fund another project (like we do), I haven't tested it yet in the field as I've not had time to get out but I'm hoping it is just as good as the Legend (not that it's replacing it this time as the Legend is permanently mated to my Prosport) as it has the 50 front lens that should put it on a par, a no fuss scope with no silly extras I don't really need and hopefully the nice bright lenses I'm going to need.

Pete
    Thanks, be nice to know how you get on with it !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by keithy View Post
    I bought one of these a couple of months ago, the first focal plane is very good, and the lense let's in a lot of light you can shoot right up until its properly dark. Only criticism a bit wieghty and no illuminated ret. Top quality kit.
    How "tight" are the clicks on the top turret, can they lets say, be easily "twiddled" or accidentally "knocked out of zero" ?
    “An airgun or two”………

How "tight" are the clicks on the top turret, can they lets say, be easily "twiddled" or accidentally "knocked out of zero" ?
    The clicks are very positive, the new turret is superb with easy to read markings and numbered all the way for two full turns, once zeroed you simply undo the retaining screw and reset the turret to "0" on the scale, this way you know exactly what you are dialling and where "0" is.

One of the tests that most lower price scopes fail is a box test where you zero the scope, fire a shot at 10yds then proceed to adjust up 1 turn, shoot, over 1 turn , shoot until you have a centre poi and a box of poi's round it, when the scope is back to where you started the next shot should go straight in the same hole as the first one and any adjustment duplicating your original box test should put the pellets in the same place, you would be amazed how many scopes fail miserably at this test ending with a different poi.

All the Falcons I have box tested have passed, they are a little heavier than some scopes but on the whole they live with a springer without losing zero or breaking!

Quite like the Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40AO Dead Hold BDC Reticle that Les had mounted on one of his air rifles at the Spring Bashes although these are about £50 new above my budgetery figure.
    I have a 4X16X42 Diamond Back HP SF BDC. The clarity of this scope is in a different league to my usual Sidewinder and Viper and all that. They have gone up a bit in price but considering the quality one gets it is reasonable.

A.G