Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 loads with unique

44 loads with unique

Hi all,

New to reloading...

looking for a bit of info? I'm going to be loading 44 cases with unique. the heads are 240gr jkt. will be shooting 25m-100m with a Rosi 92 16"

varying loads on forums. Lyman 10.8gr -12gr ML is this a good guide or should I be lower as some forums suggest?

Cheers in advance.

I'd stick with the officially published data and do the first batch at 10.8 grains. Please check the powder level in every case before you put the bullet on, as everyone makes mistakes.

My Lyman manual also has data for a Thompson Contender that does 10.3-11.5 grains. The Contender is a break action pistol with a long, unvented barrel- effectively the same as a short rifle. If these loads are good in a 14" Contender they would be fine in a 16" rifle barrel. I'd still start at 10.8 grains though.

BB

Thumbs up

Thanks Black Beard!

6.0gns of Unique with a 240gn RNFP, is pretty much the standard .44 load in our club. It's .44spl data in a magnum case. No issues. A recipe I started with 30 years ago for a accurate revolver load and it transferred over to carbines just as well.

With jacketed take it up to 6.5gns.

the above is just what i use in my taurus ,lovely jubbly
    JB ,FAC superten .22, Dr bob quickfill....ruger 10/22...marlin 795ss .44 taurus

will do 5 rounds at 6.5gr and see how they get on!

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by simgre View Post
    6.0gns of Unique with a 240gn RNFP, is pretty much the standard .44 load in our club. It's .44spl data in a magnum case. No issues. A recipe I started with 30 years ago for a accurate revolver load and it transferred over to carbines just as well.

With jacketed take it up to 6.5gns.

I would do yourself 25 rounds. You can't get a good impression from one group, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by simgre View Post
    I would do yourself 25 rounds. You can't get a good impression from one group, IMO.
    thanks simgre did 15 rounds of 6.5gr not much whoomf but nice and accurate at 25m will try 8gr for a bit more poke!

Quote Originally Posted by bagup37 View Post
    thanks simgre did 15 rounds of 6.5gr not much whoomf but nice and accurate at 25m will try 8gr for a bit more poke!
    accuracy is the point
    if you want to feel you have shot a magnum, then my old clubs 2" Charter Arms bulldog with full load FMJ's was the way to go, strangely not many came back for another 5 shots after the first cylinder
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Back in pistol days I used to load 11.0 of Unique behind 240 grain bullets, whether JHP or gaschecked Keith type, in my old Ruger Blackhawk. It wasn't the severest load I used, but it was sharp enough not to want heavier if you were firing a few cylinders of 'em. It'd throw bowling pins hard against the backstop, and few of them would survive more than 3 hits or so. Anything more tended to work the action screws loose, even after loctiting them...

I really liked Unique. It worked for me in everything from .32 ACP to .577 Snider.
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by MikB View Post
    Back in pistol days I used to load 11.0 of Unique behind 240 grain bullets, whether JHP or gaschecked Keith type, in my old Ruger Blackhawk. It wasn't the severest load I used, but it was sharp enough not to want heavier if you were firing a few cylinders of 'em. It'd throw bowling pins hard against the backstop, and few of them would survive more than 3 hits or so. Anything more tended to work the action screws loose, even after loctiting them...

I really liked Unique. It worked for me in everything from .32 ACP to .577 Snider.
    its still working for me in 7.5x55
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    its still working for me in 7.5x55
    I'd like to hear about your load, having been given a 100 or so gas-check bullets from Andy Allwood.

TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    I'd like to hear about your load, having been given a 100 or so gas-check bullets from Andy Allwood.

TIA.
    150 grn gaschecked home cast with 16grns Unique, gives me around 1700 fps and I have hit the target at 200 yards with them, although mostly they have been used for gallery use at much closer range, still giving .223 ME levels though !
    (the gas checks are seating below the case neck with this bullet, although I have some K31 cast to try which should seat higher )

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    150 grn gaschecked home cast with 16grns Unique, gives me around 1700 fps and I have hit the target at 200 yards with them, although mostly they have been used for gallery use at much closer range, still giving .223 ME levels though !
    (the gas checks are seating below the case neck with this bullet, although I have some K31 cast to try which should seat higher )
    Thank you, Sir. I'll make some up to try for when we can get back to the range.

I’ve been loading 8.5gr unique , shooting at 25 ,I’d say 10gr would be quite a powerful load, I download 7.62x54r with 10gr 150gn heads
    Sako A7.270,b14hmr 6.5cm,Weatherby vanguard.223,Browningt-bolt.17hmr,Ruger American.22l,M1903 30/06,Marlin.44 and a fireball throwing m44