Hi pigeondave,

HW35 are nice airguns.
Here my findings.

Introduced in 1950 there then was NO 7,5J power limit for airguns in Germany (as wrongly stated above by Micky Spillane, sorry lad) and the gun does not run best at 7 J but at about 10 to 10,5 Joule.

With abt. ser. no. 613000 in 1976 single sided safety was introduced.

The change from 13 mm rail to 11 mm happened around ser. no. 755000 abt. 1977/1978.

The switch from leather to nylon seals, increase of stroke from 65 to 69 mm and introduction of double sided safety happened with ser. no. 843636 in 1980.

A TbT kit should be a proper investment.
I'd go for the maxi-kit as this includes an original spring with properly fitting guides. Talk to the owner/seller to have the spring shortened to the a/m power range. Or shorten yourself.

Piston seal is also available there.

Keeping a leather piston seal piston and switching to a todays seal needs an adapter availabe as far as I know from Chambers or Knibbs.

Disassembly, proper clean and degrease, debur and polish and a final regrease with TbT's grease included in the kit shouldn't take too long and would most certainly result in a very nice shooting gun.

Top cream would be a trigger tune (sears polish and proper regrease).

Facing barrel droop a scope could be slightly shimmed or even better get a droop compensating one piece mount.

This is mine wearing a HAWKE Airmax EV 4 - 12 x 40 AO on KONUS one-block).
It was my first airgun tune five years back. I did the stock too and spent a barrel weight. Initially the internals were a V-MACH kit but after several thousand shots and two broken springs I switched out of interest to a VORTEK HPO kit but had to shorten the spring as running too hot with accuracy down. It's better now but still not as nice as with the first V-Mach kit.

https://picload.org/view/dcdilgrw/p8162166.jpg.html

Hope this helps.
Happy shooting.

Andy from Austria