Thread: What's in a name? BSA/Webley's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Longbow isn’t a missile. It’s a variant of the AH-64 Apache attack helicopter, which uses Hellfire missiles.

The Stingray isn’t a missile. The Sting Ray (two words) is a British naval torpedo.

The Tomahawk is indeed a missile (though originally a type of axe), as is the Exocet (not Xocet).

We’ll probably never know. And it’s easy to over-think it. Webley’s maketing department was probably one guy trying to decide what the kids would think was “cool”. It appears that in the 70s and early 80s that bloke was an aeroplane enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    The Longbow isn’t a missile. It’s a variant of the AH-64 Apache attack helicopter, which uses Hellfire missiles.
    I can assure you the Longbow Hellfire is a missile.

It’s a safe assumption that Webley’s final generation of springers were named after missiles, even if the Sting Ray is technically a torpedo, and the other spellings aren’t exactly the same.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    I can assure you the Longbow Hellfire is a missile.

It’s a safe assumption that Webley’s final generation of springers were named after missiles, even if the Sting Ray is technically a torpedo, and the other spellings aren’t exactly the same.

Cheers
    Greg
    I double-checked and you are indeed right on the Longbow Hellfire. So I think you’re right.