Thread: BSA Superstar, is it underrated or not?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    I never used it as such but I would imagine that the Superstar carbine would have made a nicely balance hunting tool, possibly better in .22 and not the .177 Cal. I had although I guess some of you may prefer the smaller pellet.
    On reflection, I didn't use any of my S'stars for hunting but a Carbine would have been interesting especially the .25 a Poster mentioned earlier on this Thread !
    “An airgun or two”………

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I never used it as such but I would imagine that the Superstar carbine would have made a nicely balance hunting tool, possibly better in .22 and not the .177 Cal. I had although I guess some of you may prefer the smaller pellet.
    On reflection, I didn't use any of my S'stars for hunting but a Carbine would have been interesting especially the .25 a Poster mentioned earlier on this Thread !
    Like what has been mentioned early, the .25 would soon be put aside because of the difficulty in loading, the rotary breech system can sometimes turn a pellet around (as everyone who's tried such a system will know) and also the lack of room to try and force a pellet into a tight bore doesn't help towards the enjoyment of shooting it, I nearly brought a .25 RB2 Airsporter a while ago but hesitated because the .243 Lightning barrel I had at the time was so tight that after a few shots you had a dent in your thumb and having to use a pellet pusher (something you couldn't use on a rotary breech) every shot was a pain, even when they had all been run through a .243 pellet sizer, they still didn't go in with a simple push of the thumb, which is the simplistic enjoyment of a plinking session, you just want to open a tin of pellets and feed the gun and shoot, no faffing about beforehand with sizing and then taking twice as long to load because the damn pellet won't go in straight or easily but at the end of the day the mess they make at the target was addictive.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Like what has been mentioned early, the .25 would soon be put aside because of the difficulty in loading, the rotary breech system can sometimes turn a pellet around (as everyone who's tried such a system will know) and also the lack of room to try and force a pellet into a tight bore doesn't help towards the enjoyment of shooting it, I nearly brought a .25 RB2 Airsporter a while ago but hesitated because the .243 Lightning barrel I had at the time was so tight that after a few shots you had a dent in your thumb and having to use a pellet pusher (something you couldn't use on a rotary breech) every shot was a pain, even when they had all been run through a .243 pellet sizer, they still didn't go in with a simple push of the thumb, which is the simplistic enjoyment of a plinking session, you just want to open a tin of pellets and feed the gun and shoot, no faffing about beforehand with sizing and then taking twice as long to load because the damn pellet won't go in straight or easily but at the end of the day the mess they make at the target was addictive.

Pete
    I had exactly the same issue with a .25 SStar on reflection and a 635 Magnum.
    I only ever had "a true .25" BSA and that was a Lightening Tac XL which took H&N F&TT's and shot very well.
    “An airgun or two”………

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I had exactly the same issue with a .25 SStar on reflection and a 635 Magnum.
    I only ever had "a true .25" BSA and that was a Lightening Tac XL which took H&N F&TT's and shot very well.
    I eventually bought another proper .25 Lightning barrel off of Knibbs in the end (I should have returned the first one in theory as it was so tight, even after being reamed out in the breech as not fit for purpose) but when you talk to them about it they deny that the .25 barrels have never been .243 size but that's them all over.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Mine is a mark 2 carbine in. 22. Very pointable, definitely the gun I will reach for next time there is a rat under the bird feeders
    Pete