Quote Originally Posted by Herx77 View Post
Just a thought, "to play devils advocate" regarding kill (target) sizes; and in the past targets being bigger that entailed better scores. EG, the shooting ability was inferier to todays shooters. Using Springers.
I would propose that the skill level was as good as (and in my experience with shooters through the 80's and 90's) overall better.
Sizes... How do you shoot to achieve a range card?or what are your expectations!
Do you set out to form a group of 1inch,2inch or more finding the centre of the group to make it the reference at that paticular distance!
At Markyate in the 80's( I know going back like a Tardis) and what I do today with springers and pcp's, is pick out a pellet mark and shoot to hit or clover leaf it from marks 8 to 55 yds. We did that as did D. Welham and T. Doe etc.
Clover leafing at 50/55yds was common and fun.
NOW if you can shoot pellet marks during range carding why would it be difficult hitting smmaller targets .After all a 15mm or 35mm kill is a lot bigger than a pellet splash.(Not much changes)
So why the difficulty and frightening of a set course? you just proved you can shoot smaller items. Is it a skill thing?
One is easier to shoot and be comfortable with it,and another needs constant adjustments but is accurate but needs more applied skill.
That is shooting a 'live' springer.
HERX77 .
Yes that is understandable herx77 my feelings too.IMHO its all about acheiving your personal best with the equipment you have. dont expect pcp scores or be disheartened when springing,the pleasure is improving by honing your skills