Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sako Quad .22LR Review and Barrel Change

Sako Quad .22LR Review and Barrel Change

Full Video Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nKPQl6rJEk

This is the product review of the Sako Quad below are the links to the Sako website and where I bought this product.

Sako Website - https://www.sako.fi/sakoquad.php

Where I Bought It - http://www.portsmouthguncentre.co.uk/

This the ammunition used in the video is a Remington Subsonic.
    BSA R-10 MK 2 0.177 Beretta 92FS 0.177
    Pigeons - 1 Squirrels - 1 Deer - 0.5

Sako Quad synthetic .22lr

Hi there,
    Well made video and very interesting to me as I intend to get one myself probably the heavy barrel Varmint version. As I live in Fareham I would interested in knowing what Portsmouth Guns charged you for the rifle if that's not being too nosey.
    Regards
    pj2443

Quote Originally Posted by pj2443 View Post
    Hi there,
    Well made video and very interesting to me as I intend to get one myself probably the heavy barrel Varmint version. As I live in Fareham I would interested in knowing what Portsmouth Guns charged you for the rifle if that's not being too nosey.
    Regards
    pj2443
    Thanks, I wanted the varmint myself but this came up first and to be honest I've never had any problems with the thinner barrel. Sure, it was £500 second hand, that included mounts and a slip.
    BSA R-10 MK 2 0.177 Beretta 92FS 0.177
    Pigeons - 1 Squirrels - 1 Deer - 0.5

My advice to anyone wanting to buy a Sako Quad is-don't unless you really do intend to use different barrels. Even then think very hard before you do. I tested a Sako Quad in .22 LR and was underwhelmed with the build quality and the cartridge eject although this was probably because the rifle hadn't been used for some time. The point to make is that this rifle came out AFTER Sako discontinued the superb Finnfire and it is just not in the same class. The interchangeable barrel is just a gimmick in my view anyway.
    The rifles you should look at for this sort of money (over £500 new) are the Anschutz, the Sako Finnfire-if you can find one at sensible money-and my personal choice the Weihrauch HW60J. All three are excellent rifles but to me the HW trigger is up there with the excellent Anschutz unit -which sets the standard by which triggers are judged- and certainly better than the Sako. The clincher is that the 60J comes at a usefully lower price. After extensive searching to treat myself to a 'lifetime rifle' I paid £450 for my 60J 'mint used' and am delighted with it. If an Anschutz had turned up first with a nice stock at the right price I would've bought that but not the Quad.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

i have had a quad for years now. its a good rifle, the only downside is the extraction of unfired rounds.

i havent changed the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    i have had a quad for years now. its a good rifle, the only downside is the extraction of unfired rounds.

i havent changed the barrel.

I really don't want to take this thread off on a 'knocking tack' but surely any problems with the extraction of unfired rounds is fairly serious for a rifle at this price point? Clearly anything made by Sako is going to be pretty decent in most of what it does and certainly the Finnfire is superb. It is just the value for money aspect and the fact that I know Sako discontinued the Finnfire because it was too well built for the money they could get for it. After all the Quad is NOT a cheap rifle and -as your experience indicates-very few shooters actually use the barrel change facility a great deal if at all.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    I really don't want to take this thread off on a 'knocking tack' but surely any problems with the extraction of unfired rounds is fairly serious for a rifle at this price point? Clearly anything made by Sako is going to be pretty decent in most of what it does and certainly the Finnfire is superb. It is just the value for money aspect and the fact that I know Sako discontinued the Finnfire because it was too well built for the money they could get for it. After all the Quad is NOT a cheap rifle and -as your experience indicates-very few shooters actually use the barrel change facility a great deal if at all.
    the quad is about as good as it gets for a rimfire and lets face it the differences between a cz and an anschutz is irrelevant when you are rough shooting as both are accurate enough for the ranges they get used at.

i bought it with the full intention of getting a hmr barrel but went off the idea after reading about all the ammunition issues.

the only downside is the extraction of unfired rounds.
    Sorry, what?

That sounds a pretty serious problem to me- and one that is obviously easily avoidable given that no other rimfires seem to suffer with it.

Quote Originally Posted by zanes View Post
    Sorry, what?

That sounds a pretty serious problem to me- and one that is obviously easily avoidable given that no other rimfires seem to suffer with it.
    not really. unless you are a drama queen.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...w-modification

I don't think it is particularly down to one make or model as my 1417 annie is prone to non extraction of unfire rounds, where as my quad varmint hmr extracts non fired rounds cleanly every time.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Thank you for the review.

Quote Originally Posted by zanes View Post
    Sorry, what?

really?
    then you havent seen that many .22's then
    EVERY Semi auto I have ever seen has extraction and or cycling issues with one or other make of ammo when combined with poor cleaning and or waxy bullets

all the main Bolt action brands are no different:
    5 seconds on google!

CZ http://www.shootforum.com/forum/view...p?f=20&t=29681
    The CZ has a number of known issues...just sometimes people don't want to talk about them!

Anschutz example - http://www.shootforum.com/forum/view...p?f=20&t=29681

not really. unless you are a drama queen.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...w-modification

I wrote that modification, its a piece of p1ss and is only an issue due to the need for one bolt/extractor to accommodate two rim sizes.....no other brand has that excuse for the issues

I have two quads now and 5 barrels, one synth short and one long barrelled hunter with QR mounts and four cheap scopes, one for each barrel.
    Accuracy is better than I will ever be in all calibres, I use the .22LR/WMR and .17M2 regularly, HMR less as the WMR is better

I have also owned Browning, BRNO and CZ in .22 so am comparing first hand
    sure there are cheaper, but am not convinced they give anything away to the cheaper rivals
    I would say the only thing that lets down the quality image is plastic
    My Hunter has DIP bottom metal and bolt handle, and if I could upgrade the shroud that would be metal too!

I would still buy an old finnfire if I had the appetite though!

as an aside that new model in the Youtube clip looks to have a very stiff bolt, neither of mine have anything like as stiff a lift and I have owned them from new

Quote Originally Posted by bewsh View Post
    I wrote that modification
    thank you for taking the time to do that. i found it really helpful.

Have no issues at all with my quad hunter with the heavy barrel.

I thought about buying a .22LR Quad with .22WMR and .17HMR barrels but was told it would be a pain as I would need to rezero it when I changed to different calibre barrel