Thread: Winter basement vintage pistol shootout - I have to choose my favorite

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Is there any reason why you didn't include your Targ-air pistol in the group?

John

I’ve been going through my pistols during lockdown too, a little pistol pellet test and a zero is always fun when you don’t have to rush it.

I’d probably pick the single shot Hyscore for the fun of loading (although mine is the UK one with the cocking aid) and the post war senior for accuracy. (If it’s a good shooter) Both can be a real bugger to zero in though.

Having just zeroed in my Haenel I have to agree with ggggr that they are a PITA to cock, even using your method!

Nice selection.

Have fun,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    I’ve been going through my pistols during lockdown too, a little pistol pellet test and a zero is always fun when you don’t have to rush it.

I’d probably pick the single shot Hyscore for the fun of loading (although mine is the UK one with the cocking aid) and the post war senior for accuracy. (If it’s a good shooter) Both can be a real bugger to zero in though.

Having just zeroed in my Haenel I have to agree with ggggr that they are a PITA to cock, even using your method!

Nice selection.

Have fun,

Matt
    I was zeroing in the Haenel last night and yes it can get tiring lol. Don’t know if this is universal but my Haenels all seem to shoot a little left and the rear sight has to be slightly right to compensate? Wondering if it’s the twist in the spring or my hold?
    Last edited by 45flint; 17-01-2021 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I was zeroing in the Haenel last night and yes it can get tiring lol. Don’t know if this is universal but my Haenels all seem to shoot a little left and the rear sight has to be slightly right to compensate? Wondering if it’s the twist in the spring or my hold?
    Just had a look at my 28 and sure enough once I’d zeroed it the rearsight ended up slightly right of centre.
    Very accurate pistol though.

Happy shooting, let us know how you get on.

Matt

Webley would be my choice
    ATB,
    yana

Decided to test by country of production. First up USA. The test was pretty easy as it turned out. The standard Hy-score pistol was the best. Probably the reason it was so successful over the years. The Targ-aire you could argue was the best made pistol. But as a working pistol it wasn’t very close to the Hy-score. Trigger wasn’t comparable, the huge piston caused much more jump in the firing cycle. The Hy-score was easier to cock, much more accurate and a excellent trigger. On to the UK representatives.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Is there any reason why you didn't include your Targ-air pistol in the group?

John

I can include it. I just didn’t think about it.

Last edited by 45flint; 17-01-2021 at 02:57 PM.