Hi All

A member of my local club recently bought a Griffin in .177 and has had issues ever since. First of all the pellet accuracy seemed to be quite bad even after checking and zeroing the rifle. After checking everything it was found that the moderator was loose. This was an easy fix but would not expect this with a brand new rifle out of the box.

Anyhow, continued to shoot the rifle a few times at the range over a month and found that I was still not accurate on any shot over 25-30 yards. Again we all checked the usual suspects (zeroing of the scope, pellet make, moderator etc.) but this time nothing wrong was found. So, we fired 10 shots through a chronograph. Average power of the rifle was 9.2ft/lb. Decided to shot through 2 more Chrono's to make sure of power. Average was the found to be 9.1ft/lb on one and 8.9ft/lb on the other. He decided that this needed looking into and went back to the shop.

Shop said it was for Daystate to sort. So he contacted Daystate and they said it was for the shop to sort. This went on back and forth for about 2 weeks. He decided to contact our local club gunsmith to have a look who is a Daystate service agent. He contacted Daystate to get permission to work on rifle as under warrantee. They said for him to first check the rifle through his Chrono as ‘They get a lot of people saying there rifle is underpowered when they’re not.’ He said he would and got 9.1ft/lb. Begrudgingly they said he could work on it.

When he went back to get the rifle the gunsmith said when he took the rifle apart he found the insides to be dirty and the grease used to also be dirty. Also the internals had a hell of a lot of metal shards (swarf) throughout. When both the gunsmith and owner contacted Daystate they basically called them liars. Also stated that they would not cover the costs under warrantee. Shop who sold him the rifle said they would cover 50% of the cost to fix it. Rifle has been tested now and is firing at 11.4ft/lb.

So my mate has spent best part of £1500 on a rifle that never shot right until an approved Daystate gunsmith fixed it and is now out of pocket even though it has a warrantee. Daystate want nothing to do with it. Anyone got some advice where he can go from here as it looks like complaining is not going to get him anywhere.

Atb Ross