Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
That's great Mick, you can go into mass production now! How long / how many rusting and boiling cycles does it take to achieve the final finish? I have never seen a rust blued finish up close, can a mirror finish be achieved? For some reason I imagine it to be matt. Also, a piccy of the John Deere in the background wouldn't go amiss either

It's worth me getting set up properly as I have at least 20 guns to black and I may have a few custom tattoo machines to do as well.

In the summer months with no additional heating the first rusting took about 8 hours to develope, further rustings took 24 hours and about 10 rusts were required until the rusting stopped.

With the heated wheely bin the first rust took just three hours so did the second, third and fourth, after that I was rusting and boiling every 8 hours until it stopped rusting --- in all I rusted about 9 rustings

Fume/rust bluing is more of a satin finish like you find on old prewar shotguns, I think Holland and Holland and Purdey still rust blue their barrels ?

And as requested, me on the Quigley Hollow lawnmower :-

image.jpg