Thread: Ruger Old Army Shotgun Primer Conversion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Triple 7

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Here is a link to the Anvil Conversions website which provides all you really need to know about this option.

http://anvilconversions.co.uk/index_files/Page13768.htm

I have a Ruger Old Army converted to nitro by a different company which was a bit inconsistent in ignition, so I tried using a small charge of Hogden 777 powder behind .457 ball and of course 209 shotgun primers. The result is a totally reliable and accurate load which is very comfortable to shoot. The cylinder has of course been nitro proofed and machined to take the 209 primers rather than them being accommodated in the replacement nipples themselves resulting in a much stronger arrangement. The 209 primers are more reliable, cheaper and easier to fit than conventional percussion caps so a no brainer for me anyway. I have no association with Anvil Conversions other than being a very satisfied customer as I also have one of their Ubert Remington 1858 nitro conversion revolvers which allows for indoor range use as many clubs insist on nitro only.

I can't comment on the use of black powder with this arrangement as I have only ever used a substitute, so proceed with caution.

Brian
    Hi Brian, could I ask how much triple 7 you used please ?

I use 15 grains of triple 7 for cowboy action shooting at 20 yards with my bp ruger old army and Uberti Remington

Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by svincett View Post
    Hi Brian, could I ask how much triple 7 you used please ?

I use 15 grains of triple 7 for cowboy action shooting at 20 yards with my bp ruger old army and Uberti Remington

Cheers Steve
    Hi Steve,
    I think we have now covered this subject via private email unless I'm mistaken.

Brian

Done

Yes we have thanks Brian