Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antique Firearm collecting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi Fronteria. have just approved your 2nd BBS post as above. Always good to welcome a fellow Chelmsfordian to the forum. I hope you enjoy your cyber time here . Atb: Gareth.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    I consider myself a wannabe or maybe-someday collector. I do have a pinfire revolver, and a Bulldog revolver.

I would want to learn more before I start investing much money into it: for one thing, learn what type interests me the most, since I'd want to specialize. Just haven't hit on THE specialty yet!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I consider myself a wannabe or maybe-someday collector. I do have a pinfire revolver, and a Bulldog revolver.

I would want to learn more before I start investing much money into it: for one thing, learn what type interests me the most, since I'd want to specialize. Just haven't hit on THE specialty yet!

Jim
    Hi Jim
    People collect for several reasons from enjoying owning and in some cases using the peice, tracing the history of it this is pretty straight forward with military weapons as they are very often marked with the regiments initials and dated by the store keeper unless somebody has tried to enhance! the value and have cleaned the the lot off, the real effect is that they have reduced the value as every mark and ding is part of its history.
    Some are purchased for pure investment which is risky as they tend to know little about what they are purchasing if you follow a antique gun through the system which I have done on several occasions when I have been beaten at an auction you will find that the retail price will be made up from the price paid plus the auctioners commission, the sum total is then doubled to make up the retail price.
    What a shock the invester gets when they are trying to sell it five years later when the best offer is less than 75% of the original purchase price.
    A word of warning if you are going to use an antique gun get it reproofed no matter how good it looks.
    Earlier this year I got a Martini Henry carbine which looked in very good condition with a very good bore so I thought I would put it on my ticket and use it.
    A gunsmith friend checked it over and found it visually sound in in both bore and action so it was sent to the proof house where it passed the view but failed proof when the barrel was blown completely off and in half two inches beyond the chamber the forend wouldn't have held the pressure so I would been injured was it worth the £30-00 cost to proof test it?
    How much value do you put on your hand or fingers say for arguments sake £10-00 a finger or £30-00 a hand?
    Jeff

For the most part pre WWII exposed hammer gallery rifles by Winchester and Colt are my particular poison.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm

PMs

Quote Originally Posted by mjohno View Post
    For the most part pre WWII exposed hammer gallery rifles by Winchester and Colt are my particular poison.
    Hi Johno. PM waiting to be inbound for you but I'm getting notification your in box is full. Do a spot of clearing out will you?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

If I post a link to my website you have to promise not to tell me off for firing the 6 pounder with a fag lighter. I know we've just had a big safety rant but some things really hack me off

I promise!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Sounds like something that could really grab my interest also!

Jim

Had a look at my website and it was very out of date, most of the links were dead so I cut it right back.

However it could be a pretty cool URL for this proposed collecting network

http://www.flintlocks.co.uk

Rimfire/Centerfire/Shotguns/FAC Air

There's also a current Thread about collecting in the Rimfire/Centerfire/Shotguns/FAC air Section.

Did you know that collecting is a valid reason to have a FAC?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    Had a look at my website and it was very out of date, most of the links were dead so I cut it right back.

However it could be a pretty cool URL for this proposed collecting network

http://www.flintlocks.co.uk
    You have some cracking clips on there Robin! Particularly like the wall gun. What sort of bruise does that leave I wonder!?

www.flintlocks.co.uk has got to be the finest URL our there for a dedicated collecting site. What does everyone else think?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Sounds like something that could really grab my interest also!

Jim
    Jim,
    You would certainly have a lot more choice your side of the pond.
    If you get chance pick up the two books written about the Winchester slide-actions by Schwing.

Jim,
    You would certainly have a lot more choice your side of the pond.
    If you get chance pick up the two books written about the Winchester slide-actions by Schwing.
    Thanks, I'll look into those.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    People collect for several reasons from enjoying owning and in some cases using the peice
    Hi Jeff

I like a real piece of history, repro's may be more accurate but they don't have the appeal of something that was actually there.

I don't shoot as much as I used to but I can't give up my ML clayshoot once a month and I just added a breech loading flintlock rifle to the heap that seems to warrant a bit of shooting. I have been comparing notes with a bod in America and we seem to have exactly the same problems with it so I know it's not just me.

I went on a wild gun buying splurge when I discovered my antique fetish meant I could buy anything I wanted without paperwork. I now have the paperwork and most everything from pocket pistols to cannon. I have also become a lot more picky, the only gaping hole in my collection is I don't have a blunderbus, have to get a blunderbus

Robin

This is great. It sounds like there are quite a few collectors here.

I myself used to collect vintage airguns like they were going out of fashion but around three years ago I saw a lovely double barrelled percussion overcoat pistol circa 1850 and knew I just had too have it. I have never looked back! (I still have a fair few airguns, particularly the good old Webley pistols).
    I always try and save enough money so that I can get a decent piece rather than a ropey effort. It’s better to buy one good piece than two or three rough pieces.

My collection stands so far at:

FLINTLOCK
    A stunning brass barrelled blunderbuss pistol by Walker, London (circa 1690)
    A pair of brass framed and barrelled pocket pistols Joseph Heylin, London
    An all brass over & under pistol with bayonet by Wheeler, London
    A large officers pistol with fish tail grip by Tipping, Bath
    A long sea service pistol with numerous ordnance markings (circa 1803)

PERCUSSION
    A stunning double barrelled overcoat pistol (no name, marked London but Birmingham proofs)
    A pocket pistol by Joseph Manton
    A top-hat pocket pistol be Henry Nock
    Colt 1860 Army revolver (I just had to have one)

PINFIRE
    A small closed frame pistol. Fully engraved and nickel plated. Cased with accessories