Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Store Co2 rifle empty or full?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Do not leave a 78 ungassed, your seals will dry out. The capsule are pierced at both ends of the tube and the gas is held in the tube. This keeps the seals from going hard. There is no seal where the seal butts up to in a 78. Whereas Crosmans are fed gas direct from the capsule one shot at a time, so a totally different method of gas release.
    Take a look on UKCAF, we tend to know what we are talking about with reference to Chinese airguns.

Skipton on a farm on the moors with 100s of sheep
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsnlandies View Post
    Do not leave a 78 ungassed, your seals will dry out. The capsule are pierced at both ends of the tube and the gas is held in the tube. This keeps the seals from going hard. There is no seal where the seal butts up to in a 78. Whereas Crosmans are fed gas direct from the capsule one shot at a time, so a totally different method of gas release.
    Take a look on UKCAF, we tend to know what we are talking about with reference to Chinese airguns.
    WELL SAID THAT MAN. A man who knows and knows he knows is a prophet FOLLOW HIM
    "IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE, DO PENCILS MISSPELL WORDS ?"

Neil,

I store my Tau7 pistol gassed - it will do ca. seventy (70) shots per 12g CO2 caplet, and I don't usually shoot more than twenty (20) shots a week.

So, the pistol sits for up to a month or more gassed, and I have found no problems whatsoever doing this.

I do put a drop of Pellgun oil on the seal of the caplet, and I do wipe a thin film of Pellgun oil on the caplet body.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

I keep air in my King Rat and gas in my 2240, never had sealing issues...

If a gun has a cylinder to contain the co2 I leave some gas in.
    If it doesn't e.g. Umarex I empty it.

Having said that all co2 guns leak eventually and the above is not always successful.

But the manual for the SMK says leave it gassed as I recall.

Neil,

I have just shot my Tau7 after some five (5) weeks of non-use.

Functioned perfectly, and velocity spot on

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

My thoughts exactly, my 78 always has gas left in it and never leaks, all my pistols are never stored with gas or empty capsules.

Thanks guys, after reading all the comments I think I'll go for leaving it gassed up. I thought I'd read that somewhere, but I was just a bit dubious with the previous owner having left it gassed up & then the seals going the first time we changed the capsules!
    Thanks for all the advice.

I have lost count of the second hand co2 guns I have bought that have 'held gas for ages' and when you take out the old capsules the new ones dump gas everywhere.

I give them to Baz to sort.
    Without him I would have an excellent pile of junk.

Well after reading this thread I'm still no wiser, leave or unleave all I no is my dad a few years ago left a bulb in his EB pistol for a few weeks and it developed a leak. Personally I now always remove. Right or wrong, no bloody idea

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    I have a umarex pistol that takes CO2 cartridges, if you remove a part filled cartridge does it reseal itself when you remove it or do you lose the remaining gas?
    I have only changed the cartridges when they are empty.

Chippendale (with clothes on)

Quote Originally Posted by Chippendale View Post
    I have a umarex pistol that takes CO2 cartridges, if you remove a part filled cartridge does it reseal itself when you remove it or do you lose the remaining gas?
    I have only changed the cartridges when they are empty.

Chippendale (with clothes on)
    Hi Mel on no account try to remove the 12g canister when it's partly filled as it doesn't seal... the freezing gas will cascade all over the place and may cause injury. I'm not sure what the situation is with the large 88g canisters as I haven't ever used them.
    The only exception I'd make to what I initially said is when the gas is almost expired in my Crosman Ratcatcher and it's almost empty I remove the knurled cap and I 'Dry-Fire' the remaining tiny amount of gas and that usually makes the canister pop out of the casing thus making it easier to remove.

Hope things are well with you, Mel,
    A' the Best
    Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetier View Post
    Well after reading this thread I'm still no wiser, leave or unleave all I no is my dad a few years ago left a bulb in his EB pistol for a few weeks and it developed a leak. Personally I now always remove. Right or wrong, no bloody idea
    Well I've learnt something useful - in that we all have different experiences with CO2 pistols and 78 variants; very odd, it would seem no-one is right and no-one is wrong. I guess that that's all the joy and idiosyncrasy of CO2 owning!

Exactly that - leave it gassed...

Definitely leave a 78 with gas in, got 5 in various guises, all kept gassed up. As said previously, the capsules aren't pressed against seals so won't deform them, as happens with Crosman and umarex. If the seals are of the correct material, then they'll keep pliable and last for years.