Thread: Proper reviews

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by longsider View Post
    ... if I was the general manager at a Airgun mnanufacturer and I was told that Airgun World wanted a rifle to review I would be sending the best example I had at hand . A lot of sales could be generated or lost from that review and I certainly wouldn't risk sending a ex demo rifle . I don't mean I would send a specially tuned rifle that would obviously perform better than the production model but certainly not something that had done the rounds of the shooting shows either.
    On at least three occasions in the last three years, the manufacturer/importer has specifically requested me to take one of the demo models from a show or game fair, and test it for the magazine. That was the desired evaluation and it gave me valuable info when I interviewed those who staffed the ranges where the rifles were used. They won't be the last ex-demo rifles tested, I assure you of that.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    On at least three occasions in the last three years, the manufacturer/importer has specifically requested me to take one of the demo models from a show or game fair, and test it for the magazine. That was the desired evaluation and it gave me valuable info when I interviewed those who staffed the ranges where the rifles were used. They won't be the last ex-demo rifles tested, I assure you of that.
    Hi Terry

While I can see the value in that as to an external opinion of a gun after some use (and probably abuse) as a rule Longsider has to be right, to send out an unchecked random gun to a magazine test, possibly a models very first in the public press would be a very brave thing for any manufacturer in any industry.

I would have a great deal of confidence if a test said at the beginning "we collected this rifle straight from 3 days of abuse on the have a go stand" it would be a brave manufacturer though think?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    I would have a great deal of confidence if a test said at the beginning "we collected this rifle straight from 3 days of abuse on the have a go stand" it would be a brave manufacturer though think?
    I think it was the last airgun I reviewed, Richard, (an FX Verminator) that was collected from the have a go stand at the CLA, where it had been used for three days.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Hi Terry

While I can see the value in that as to an external opinion of a gun after some use (and probably abuse) as a rule Longsider has to be right, to send out an unchecked random gun to a magazine test, possibly a models very first in the public press would be a very brave thing for any manufacturer in any industry.

I would hope ALL guns are checked before a manufacturer sends them out to anyone, Richard, be that to shops, or reviewers, as part of the QC procedure.

As Jim said, it was done with an FX, and I recall a Weihrauch HW100 model being supplied from the range at the Midland Game Fair. I'm sure I mentioned this in the test, too.

It's rare, but it definitely happens. The point is, the test guns are not specially prepared, non-representative examples.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    I would hope ALL guns are checked before a manufacturer sends them out to anyone, Richard, be that to shops, or reviewers, as part of the QC procedure.

As Jim said, it was done with an FX, and I recall a Weihrauch HW100 model being supplied from the range at the Midland Game Fair. I'm sure I mentioned this in the test, too.

It's rare, but it definitely happens. The point is, the test guns are not specially prepared, non-representative examples.
    I am sure Jim is right in that instance, put yourself in the shoes of a manufacturer, new model, first review in print....

Your sample needs to be representative, no extra fancy walnut or aftermarket tuned guts of course but wouldn't you expect the production manager to make damn sure it was the best example he could find and checked and double checked to be the best that business could offer?

I would!

I would be particularly impressed with any product review where a manufacturer simply gave you a demonstrator after 3 days of abuse by the game fair public though