Thread: .22RF pistol

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    To add to all of what has already been said about size restrictions. If you want to go semi-auto your only choice is .22lr and the most popular choice there is probably a Browning Buckmark of some sort, likely fettled by Westlake engineering.

If you go down the revolver route the most common are .22lr, .38/.357, .44 Mag but you could probably find some obscure items like .45ACP with half moon clips if you try hard enough. Lever action guns tend to be more popular as does reloading for the centre fire calibres.

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by ptheta View Post
    but you could probably find some obscure items like .45ACP with half moon clips if you try hard enough. Lever action guns tend to be more popular as does reloading for the centre fire calibres.

Paul.
    Paul,
    Currently im running 3 Taurus LBR's .38/357, .44 and .45acp. The issue with any Taurus LBR that requires moon clips such as the 30M1 or the .45acp. Is that Taurus dont use standard moon clips or half moon clips. They use there own version called the Taurus Stella clip. It Mic's to a thickness of 0.20 were as a moon clip such as a smith is 0.40 double. This means the Taurus clips have a habit of bending and they arnt cheap. My last lot were £25 for 5 !!!. My advice to anyone considering getting one is to speak to Roding Armoury and get them to do a cylider job on it so you can use Smith clips. I picked up 300 smith clips for mine for $30 from old sarge drop zone. Granted it costs a few hundred to get the work done but smith clips will hardly ever wear out and are easy to get unlike Taurus clips.

rgs

Chris

That's certainly interesting, Chris. Why would anybody choose a rimless calibre though? You can't put them in a lever action and when you put them in a revolver you have the sort of problems that you describe.

The only centre fire pistol calibre gun I have is a .38/.357 Rossi carbine. It's no bigger than the cap guns I had as a kid! I reckon if I ever got a LBR I'd go for a .38 on the basis that I could share reloading gear and not need a new die set.

Paul.

I use my .45 for advancing target. Other people I have spoken to with .45 acps usually use them for some sort of practical competition were speed reloading is required. As for .30M1 its a bit of a cross over. With it being a rifle round its good to 300 yards you could use it for long distance pistol.