Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ripley elite

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Is that not something that is covered by warranty? He designed it underpowered and then charges to have it where it should be, lol.

How old was the rifle? Was it a fairly new one?

Ripley elite

Guys, what is the thing about getting your rifles as near to 12 foot pounds as possible, there have been many threads about this and it makes little or no difference over sensible hunting distances. I would sooner a consistent 10+ than a near illegal unconsistent 11.8+ etc as for reliability build quality its a solid chuncky rifle, the 400 feels like a match stick compared my opinion would not have a 400 if you gave me one but they sell well so some people like them. As for accuracy its as accurate as my MK4 and easaly as good as an ev2 i had. Hope that helps.

I don't know much about the different Ripley rifles, but I know this. If it's a model with the externally, or easily accessible internal, power adjuster then it's a S.1 air rifle. I know that Ripley made at least one such air rifle which I believe was sold as off FAC, but it ain't.

dr dave

guys, i think you will find that TD has a earlier model... the ripley HOG. bluing is much better, but from the pics the elite does look nice...save some more pennies and get the real ripper , you will love them..

Quote Originally Posted by dr dave View Post
    guys, i think you will find that TD has a earlier model... the ripley HOG. bluing is much better, but from the pics the elite does look nice...save some more pennies and get the real ripper , you will love them..
    No Dave, it's an Elite, and it's a fine rifle. I've just had it serviced at Wighill, and it does 11.2 ft.lbs., with exemplary accuracy.

I've got mine in a match stock and I'll be having that modified to make it more 'sporting', without losing any of the control.

I love that Elite, and I'd never sell it.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Good to hear. I am seriously thinking about selling my S400 for one. It is only 6 months old but I have always loved Ripleys and although this isnt a pure Ripley its the closest I will ever get. I just need to be absolutely sure before I take the plunge and lose money on the S400 as I had to save a while to get that.

Anyone know where the customer stands regarding the warranty and parts? That is the other issue that makes me hesitant. Who will honour the warranty if it goes pop and will there be any parts available in say 4 years or is this why it is now being sold off cheaply?

thanks for the replies.I got my pal an aa400 and i dont like them at all.I shouldered a bsa scorpion se and was disapointed with the finish.The ripley elite was stunning,chunky ,solid,extremely well finished .Im dubious myself about warranty,and just what is the resale value if i do decide to sell in a few years?Ive had an aatx200hc,ultra,scorpion,r10 and hw100,but the ripley is everything i want if its reliable.Im not too fussed about power,as long as its consistent.I want it as a day gun,as my r10 has an n550 on top. cheers

i have

i have one mate and i think they are great had a loss of power in mine am customs did a service on it bang on two guy at club have just got and they love them great hunting gun

try filling to 180 bar and put 20-30 shots through it to get a rough idea of power, one thing for sure I cant see it creeping up it doesnt matter how many shots you put through the barrel mine did the squeek when filling then sometimes wouldnt fill as the valve would stay stuck, so a few short blast would ease the valve to allow it to hold air, probably had some grime in it from the factory, same as the barrel.

I have a ar5s dont know the difference between the elite but it seems to be unreliable only by what ive heard though, id just stick with the real ripleys.

I bought a second hand elite in .22 works really well, set at 11.5ftlb on accupells/crosmans and extremely consistent. I use it over my Logun Mk2 (which I love as well, as far as I know they are basically the same rifle, never had my elite in bits yet as I haven't needed to )

Quote Originally Posted by Pinpoint View Post
    Is that not something that is covered by warranty? He designed it underpowered and then charges to have it where it should be, lol.

How old was the rifle? Was it a fairly new one?
    Apparently not! he charged me when I had only had the gun a few months (anti tamper had previously been put back on by highland outdoors umpteen times)

Anyone looking for a multishot version of an elite look no further than mk2 logun, same reliability (a bit of a lottery if you drop on a good one)

The only gun I think was reliable and accurate to be made by hogun was the re branded axsor he was selling as it wasn't designed fully by them just a bolt added different stock and magazine retainer but it wouldnt do anything the webley fx2000 couldnt do of course.

There seems to be a big similarity between the logun axsor and ripley elite.

Find a good rifle put your name on it, save money on the engineering process to make a profit.

Did it work? In a word no.

Why is the guy working out of a little shop in wakefeild, hats off for trying it is a shame the rifles couldnt live up to all the marketing in the days of the old airgunsport catalogues as I must admit my mouth used to water.
    Last edited by engraver; 18-02-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Some interesting posts, thanks guys. I think I will be keeping my S400 as I need to be sure that it is a worthwhile upgrade and by all accounts it seems as though this cant be guaranteed. I guess 65,000 S4*0s wouldnt have rolled out if they were rubbish and that is a lot of rifles to hone and ensure that any issues are well and truly ironed out. I've no doubt that there are some good Elites out there as others have mentioned but the sheer numbers on the secondhand shelf adds up to what you two are saying.

just put 5 shots through the f1 chrony(unweighed) and very little spread but its calculating at 10.34lbft.Is this a little low? Also the ripley whines like hell when filling. cheers

How much air have you put in it also you need a few hundred pellets to bed the barrel in
    A few air rifles and pistols Daystate Owners Club